Thread: What is this??

What is this??

Hi, gang:

I am in the process of re-installing the MFI system onto my '69 911S. The previous owner had removed the MFI system ten years ago and replaced it with Zenith 40-TIN carbs "for ease of maintenance". The MFI pump is on its way to Mark at MFI Werks in Oregon and the throttle bodies and stacks are heading to EuroMetrix in Groton, Mass.

As I was digging through the boxes of spare parts I came across this item and I can't figure out what this gizmo does. Can someone explain what this is and does?

Many thanks!

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's a breather pipe. It goes through your front engine sheet metal.

Richard

PET code: 901 108 029 00
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

To add to what Richard said, it is the breather or oil drain tube for any oil that accumulates in the bottom of the air cleaner. There is a drain tube in the air cleaner bottom and a 7.5mm braided hose goes from the air cleaner to the pipe of the breather. When you are under the car you are suppose to pinch that rubber hose to let out any accumulated oil.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

To ad to what Ed said, it mounts to the front of the engine where the tin attaches to the oil cooler. There should be a hole in the tin for the hose end, next to where the wiring harness goes thru to the starter.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

The black rubber sleeve on the end is actually referred to as a valve, it will prevent air from entering the air box, a rubber hose extends from the other end to the bottom of the air box. If the rubber is worn or ripped replace it.
    From what I see in the PET the tube for '69 is 911 108 021 00 and rubber valve is 253 260 180.
    Name:  73Eng001.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  91.1 KB
    Last edited by ESully; 01-12-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Has anybody seen this version. I have seen two of these in my lifetime. Aftermarket piece to keep oil off of the heat exchanger. Also, the "valve" I have has a VW
    part number-311 115 541. I believe this went on the bottom of the crankcase vent tube on a Volkswagen.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance.

Since it was pretty shot, I've ordered a new rubber valve on www.aircooled.net for $3.50. The Porsche version (if you can find it) costs well over $20.

I expect the MFI pump and throttle bodies should be rebuilt by the end of April. Once I start putting my MFI system back on the car I'll report back to you folks and let you know how it all turns out.

many thanks once again,
    Alan

I always wondered precisely how the factory expected us to purge the oil from there. Maybe when the engine is out?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen