Thread: 73.5 ???

73.5 ???

Hi

I'm pretty new in the early business, and everyday learning a lot.
    I've already checked out some porsches to buy and don't have any specific wishes.
    One of these (still seeing with the owner) i'm going to look at a 911T '73,5.

Can't find much of these cars. I've seen that they've got those big rubber overriders, and black grilles (front and rear)
    But what are other main differences (i've read something about a 73,5 only fuel tank) and things that i need to look out for. Are these 73,5's any special?

Many thanks Tim

73,5 signifies the change from MFI to CIS injection on the 1973 911T. With this change came a new fuel tank and fuel pump. I think other features are the same across all 73's.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Last edited by ESully; 01-12-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Add Link

here's one in one of my favorite and very rare color Royal Purple. this one is rough but if its really its original color, it still worth saving. very few came in this color
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...item56517618ea
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

I have a real nice one for sale in silver:

http://www.carparcusa.com/detail.php?id=185

Henk.
    Henk Baars owner of CarparcUSA LLC
    www.CarparcUSA.com
    www.911WoodDashRegistry.org

S Registry #1490
    '68 911L Targa Sea Green
    '66 Volvo 123GT
    '62 Volvo P1800

Quote Originally Posted by SloMo View Post
    . . . pretty new in the early business, and everyday learning a lot . . . going to look at a 911T '73,5 . . . what are other main differences . . . Are these 73,5's . . . special? . . .
    These are the first really modern Porsches --- w/ proper emissions-oriented fuel injection. Cars are famous for their reliability + driveability + fuel economy

But, for me --- that's their biggest draw-back, as well . . . no MFI . . . in my opinion, an absolutely signature feature of the Early 911. The '72 + '73 T's --- despite being the least powerful/lowest-level models . . . never-the-less use the same sophisticated fuel injection set-up as the E's + S's . . . and deleted from the '73.5 T

Ammended
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

These are wonderful cars.
    I drive mine daily. Very dependable, and loads of fun. I changed the headlights, and bumperettes.
    Good luck in your search.
    George
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1965 356 C cab - survivor
    1970 911 2L race car #47
    1973 911S ex - Peter Gregg/Bob Snodgrass - enjoyed, then passed to the next caretaker
    1973.5 911T sunroof - "daily driver"
    2007 Gen1 - GT3RS white.no graphics

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    These are the first really modern Porsches --- w/ proper electronic fuel injection. Cars are famous for their reliability + driveability + fuel economy

But, for me --- that's their biggest draw-back, as well . . . no MFI . . . in my opinion, an absolutely signature feature of the Early 911. The '72 + '73 T's --- despite being the least powerful/lowest-level models . . . never-the-less use the same sophisticated fuel injection set-up as the E's + S's . . . and deleted from the '73.5 T
    K-Jetronic (or CIS) Fuel Injection (Which is on the 1973.5 and all 911's until 1984) is mechanical fuel injection that uses the fuel system pressure to control the fuel flow (as opposed to the MFI Metering pump in earlier cars or the electronically controlled injectors on later cars).

I really like my 1973.5 for its ease of starting, good drivability and adequest fuel economy. It lacks the rush of MFI or carbs due to the mild cams required for this sytem to work but all-in-all, a nice ride.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

aaaaah! i'm just so .....

Called the owner today to ask when we could meet and see the car (he couldn't meet earlier). He just told me not to bother anymore, the car is no longer available. It's sold.

btw:Nicec2s : very nice car!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SloMo View Post
    aaaaah! i'm just so .....

Called the owner today to ask when we could meet and see the car (he couldn't meet earlier). He just told me not to bother anymore, the car is no longer available. It's sold.

btw:Nicec2s : very nice car!
    Welcome to the early 911 market. Move at warp speed to secure then trim it back during due diligence stage. Not for the indecisive.