Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash reinstallation: w/ or w/o windshield ?

Dash reinstallation: w/ or w/o windshield ?

I wanted to check with the collective before doing something stupid. I can see how removing a dash intact would be a lot easier with the windshield off... But mine was trashed and is already removed now, and what I am worried about is re-installation of another one. Problem is I am not ready - haven't even begun to repair the crack, and the paint shop says it's almost time to put the glass back in so that I can take the car home (and make room ;-). From what I see, there are several plastic clips in the front, and a few metal studs that get bolted on from inside the dash. So, as far as putting one in, the only advantage of leaving the glass off (that I can see) seems to be the ability to press harder on the front clips from above. Is that necessary though ? Again, just for re-installation... thanks !

Almost there.... the interior comes back this week...

Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

The dash pad goes in first and then the glass. I don't think it's possible to install the dash pad properly with the glass in place.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Ok, but why ? ;-) Alignment issues ? Once you push the studs thru the front of the dash, the pad should be pretty close to aligned and then you just push the front clips in... No ? I grant you that there would be more leverage (and eyeballing the clips vs. holes) if the glass is not installed, and that definitely glass off for removal, but as much as I hear it can't be done, I struggle to understand why (looking at the dash). I may not have a choice anyway ;-( Worst case I'll have the glass removed again.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

I installed an NOS dash in my 72 911 with the windshield in, without a problem. It may have been a little easier with the windshield out, but not a big deal either way. You will have to pay attention to the defroster grills, but really not a big problem.
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 01-14-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I installed an NOS dash in my 72 911 with the windshield in, without a problem. It may have been a little easier with the windshield out, but not a big deal either way.
    Ah ! Thank you ! I am about to find out for myself either way ;-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Dashes from '69 up have material on the leading edge that is fastened with upholstery screws. There is no way to put those screws in place with the windshield in. If it were me, I'd fetch the windshield separately, install the dash at home and then the windshield. Or go do it at the shop.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

And just to clarify, '67 and earlier do not need the windshield out. I don't know about '68s in this regard. I think they are more like '67s than '69s. But, as they say, '68s are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Dashes from '69 up have material on the leading edge that is fastened with upholstery screws. There is no way to put those screws in place with the windshield in. If it were me, I'd fetch the windshield separately, install the dash at home and then the windshield. Or go do it at the shop.
    Interesting... that stuff wasn't there to begin with, no holes either. Just the clip holes... Maybe the car was "fixed" there as well. I should point out this is for the 69 912, which is a semi-outlaw body+repaint job, I might not go too crazy on the nearly invisible leading edge of the dash, but I do appreciate your input regarding what is correct !

I need to go fix that dash ASAP...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

The reason for the screws -- and there are usually 6 of them if not 7 -- is to keep the front edge of the dash down; not curling up from sun exposure.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

The screw holes could have been filled depending on the "experience" of the car..................that leading flap of vinyl could still be a problem with the bottom windshield gasket. You might be able to tease the flap under the gasket with some plastic tools.....carefully!

If it's a repro dash pad you will still have issues with fiddly defogger vents.

I'm sure it can be done...just easier with the glass out.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series