Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge this!!!

Dodge this!!!

I drove home on the highway in a rather spirited fashion after doing a day-long rally. It was a full day of aggressive driving and then about a 2-hour trip at-speed on the highway. Upon arriving home, I parked the car in my driveway with the engine off for a few minutes, then tried to start it again and got that ominous "click". -The fuel pump turned on, the batteries were fine, lights and gauges worked, but the engine didn't turn over. Then, after I let everything cool down overnight, I tried again and it started right up. I'm assuming this means I have a dodgy starter... and if I understand the problem correctly, the starter gets stuff in it, like dirt or debris, then it heats-up and expands, and then the piston can't move.

Problem is that I have a track day coming-up this weekend and the car will definitely heat-up to at least the temps it was the day when it didn't start, and probably hotter, and I don't want to get stranded at the track 3hrs from home after a long day. SO here's my question; should I replace the starter, or is there a relatively quick way to service my old one?
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

If you have the standard 3/4 h.p. starter (Bosch rebuild nomenclature SR17-X ) then I would suggest replacing it with the 1.5 h.p. version (SR68-X) We tend to use those down here where you REALLY get heat soak in a starter after a highway trip. The SR-68 X seems to virtually eliminate hot start problems, of course with all the usual caveats about clean tight connections etc.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thumbs up

Listen to Ed.......

Did this switch-out about 15 years ago with no problems since....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Regards to Harvey Korman (Hedley Lamarr):

"Ditto".

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Had the same problem about about 25-30 years ago. I wanted to keep the original starter in the '65 so I took one of the ball bearings out and have never had a problem after that.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

I also had the same problem about 20 years ago on my '65.
    I had driven up to LA from San Diego to meet up with a girlfriend that was out for an audition. She was staying at some swanky Beverly Hills hotel. Being 21 at the time, I made quite an entrance into the circular drive of said fancy hotel with the sports purpose exhaust wailing. When I went to make my grand exit... click...click.. no start
    The front desk manager came out and knocked on my window. Too my surprise he said that this happens to the VWs back in his country all the time. He told me that he would push the car and that I should bump start it while turning the key to "start" this would free up the starter. Worked like a charm. I still have the image of the hotel manager pushing my car, wearing a suit with his leather soled shoes slipping and sliding on the paving stones of the hotel driveway. Apparently I wasn't embarrassed enough by this scene to fix the starter as I can recall 2-3 additional instances of people push starting the car for me.
    But I digress, I eventually ended up changing the starter out and never had the problem again.

Go with the up-rated one recommended by Ed.

-Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Great story, Kent; and thanks for the excellent advice, Ed!

Anyone have any experience with this high-zoot starter over on the Bird?:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0%281976-88%29

Jordan
    S Registry #1933

I've used this starter, no complaints, it works as described, great starting power, no heat soak, it certainly is lighter and easier to lift into position than the heavy bosch unit....it sounds kind-of ricer-ish.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

hmmm.... "ricer-ish" isn't exactly the gestalt I'm seeking, so I thank you for that heads-up.

the SR68-X unit sounds like it'll do the trick.
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

My deal was it started 'acting up' back then but real inconsistently; couple of times on the street, once at the track, etc...
    Then I was displaying the car at a Grand Prix Region PCA concourse at the Queen Mary Park.... and (you guessed it) had to be pushed (through the grass) for a start... ... Only then did I do anything about it.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter