Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protective Hood Film?

Protective Hood Film?

I did a search but found nothing on this except for head lights. Does anyone know if there is available a protective clear film that can be put onto the front of the hood on a 911? These are the ones you see on new cars and are almost invisible but protect the paint from stone chips and such (they are available for headlights on the bird). Perhaps even for the front of the fenders around the headlights? Anyone? Thanks

Clear bras are available from a lot of sources. I had one installed on my 72 by Sticker City in Van Nuys, CA. Be careful who you select, as careless razor blade useage when trimmed can damage the paint. Get an experienced installer.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    sure. it'll work fine. but like GS said, be carefull who you have install it. I doubt anyone makes a "kit" for your car so someone is going to custom make all the pieces. Get quality film too. You can tell the difference visually when you get close. 3M is great.

Can you see it? Its ont he hood, fenders, and core support middle. if done well by a good guy, even a custom application will look great, and no one will know.

-Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Thanks for the responses. So it sounds like custom work. I would have thought that with so many cars having the same body someone would have produced a kit. Not interested in a clear bra, want something that you don't see unless you really look. Has anyone done this on the east coast? While I love driving, Van Nuys is a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish911 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. So it sounds like custom work. I would have thought that with so many cars having the same body someone would have produced a kit. Not interested in a clear bra, want something that you don't see unless you really look. Has anyone done this on the east coast? While I love driving, Van Nuys is a bit of a stretch.
    clear bra is the common term for this type of stuff. its not like the bra you are thinking of that damages paint and looks awful. Most tint places do this type of work. If it were me I would go into the local porsche (or audi, mercedes, someone high end) dealership and see who they use. Most dealers will have it as an add on, and then it gets contracted out.
    -Kris Clewell

Brilliant, I should have thought of that but I didn't so thank you Digital K. Need to get some fresh air, reading way too many of these threads these days. But it is cold outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish911 View Post
    Brilliant, I should have thought of that but I didn't so thank you Digital K. Need to get some fresh air, reading way too many of these threads these days. But it is cold outside.
    tell me about it. :/ 10F here.
    -Kris Clewell

These guys have a lot of pre-cuts on their computer. You might see if they have pre-cut kit. They use 3m material as well.
    http://www.stickercityusa.com/3m-clear-bra

But what do they really mean for the long term?

My dad had it put on a 2005 T Bird. It is still on fine. But I've noticed at some of the more tricky spots, it is picking up a tiny bit. I also note that at the edge, it is harder to get clean - making it not so invisible. So what happens 5, 10 or 15 years later? When they ultimately lift, will the paint match? Will you have to replace it to make the old covered paint and the uncovered paint match? Will future owners of the cars who want to restore them be glad or bummed about them?

Just some thoughts. I'm unlikely to do it no matter what answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    But what do they really mean for the long term?

My dad had it put on a 2005 T Bird. It is still on fine. But I've noticed at some of the more tricky spots, it is picking up a tiny bit. I also note that at the edge, it is harder to get clean - making it not so invisible. So what happens 5, 10 or 15 years later? When they ultimately lift, will the paint match? Will you have to replace it to make the old covered paint and the uncovered paint match? Will future owners of the cars who want to restore them be glad or bummed about them?

Just some thoughts. I'm unlikely to do it no matter what answers.
    I think any kind of paint difference if any...would buff out on a car thats well taken care of...
    -Kris Clewell