Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 Owners Manual / Drivers Manual

1973 Owners Manual / Drivers Manual

So what is the difference ?

the Drivers Manual is New Old Stock from the dealer

the Owners Manual is from a car when purchased

Guess: The Drivers Manuals were sold at the dealer as replacement manuals.

Calling the Experts

Thx....DM
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The one on the left could be for European delivery cars (UK as its in English) and the one on the right for US delivery.

If you wish to sell the one on the left and is the correct date I would like to buy. The date is on the inside cover usually in Roman numerals. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by 210bhp; 01-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Thanks for the offer, these are not for sale....but i would like to hear others opinions on why they are called different names....the contents appear to be the same, but the pagination is off by one page between the two...DM

I've also heard that the grey one is for euro delivery. If you flip through it you will see the euro options in the photos (no rubber covers on the knobs etc).
    I ALSO have been told that the grey one was the dealer replacement. I suppose this would be obvious by the printing date, as Mike said above.
    I've got the same pair (sorry Mike, neither are for sale)
    The orange one says "USA/Canada" (which I just noticed for the first time)
    You''ll also see that the grey booklet is dated later than the orange.

-Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I have the grey (almost a green tinge in it like stone grey) one for my Late 73 Australian delivered car. it has the same dates in it etc as the one Kent posted
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

member #1515
    Orange was for US and Canada only
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

take a look at the photo's in the grey book...in my copy they are not quite as crisp as the Orange covered copy. My grey one has a print date of 2/73 and the orange one has a print date of VIII/72...I assume that means 8/72.

Couple of conclusions:

1. Clearly two printings

2. If a grey book was delivered with a car then they were just manuals used in later cars.

3. It would make sense then that the grey ones are the ones sold by dealers as replacements as they were the leftovers from the second printing.

I wonder if any other folks who have late build '73 cars have the grey book to confirm our theory.

My 73S is build date 11/72..So it makes sense it would have the earlier printing.

Just another nuance for the concours weenies to pick apart....<grin>....I wander if they know to look for the print date on the owners manuals...Mr. Mayo...throw this one in your bag of tricks for this summers parade...DM

ps

my '73 Owners manual also has a little half pocket in the back which contains the emissions control brochure and a list of US distributors

I asked this question over on Pelican a couple of weeks ago (see this link). In addition to grey Driver's Manual being for Europe and orange Owner's Manual being for USA/Canada, I believe there's a non-CIS and CIS version of each one. From what I gather, this is not reflected in the copyright page, but only in differences in the contents of the manuals. E.g., there is a CIS diagram around page 92 for the CIS-specific manuals which is not in the non-CIS version. Interestingly, the non-CIS version describes the T as being carbureted, and the E and S as being MFI.

--Richard
    Metallic Blue 73.5 911T