Thread: EASY 3rd weekend-of-the-month 356 meeting

EASY 3rd weekend-of-the-month 356 meeting

I've mentioned this before, but just to set the scene for today's post, please allow me to recap that on the 1st Saturday of each month Jim Braezeale hosts R Gruppe monthly meetings, and two weeks hence, on the 3rd Saturday of each month, EASY becomes the place for the local 356 enthusiasts to find common ground with like-minded fanatics. These reports will not ever become a regular feature, nor are they intended to be free advertisements for Jim's Porsche-only enterprise, rather, I offer these posts to inform and entertain with what I hope will be of some interest and to brighten up a long, gray and cold winter and to relieve the hopelessness of January.

When I left my home in Walnut Creek at about 9:30 AM about 12 miles East of EASY it was 37 degrees - a mere 20 minutes later in Emeryville @ Easy it was a delightful 55. You just knew then it was going to turn out to be a good day.

Even though today was 356 Day only 2 showed up. The wonderfully unfinished and patinaed '64 C Coupe in primer and a Cabriolet I had not seen before with its fender-mounted mirrors in an unorthodox location. Of note was also a highly original, well-done & clean '69 beige 911T, all work done by the owner.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

......but pride of place today belonged to a very clean, ultra rare '64 Mercedes-Benz 220 SE Karmann built, pillar-less two-door Coupe, that had been treated about 20 years to a 6.3 engine conversion. The basic car originally housed a 2.2 liter motor, but when that Series was discontinued and M-B slowly began migrating to the dark side and producing ever larger, heavier and electronically encumbered slick "poseur" models, several German-based "Tuners" began specializing in converting the earlyW 111, W 112 S and SE Coupes and Sedans to 6.3, 6.9 and current AMG V-8 motors / powertrains. These are generally offered with a huge range of options, can range from basic mechanical conversions to full Singer-style "Re-imaginations" and have reached 500,00 Euros for the most over-the-top luxury versions.

This particular model was converted in Martinez, CA by a local shop using a 300 SEL 6.3 as a donor for the entire drivetrain, since the increase in horsepower / torque would have destroyed the original transmission and differential in short order. The result is quite stunning. Starting it produces a subtle bass rumble, it pulls with real authority and the original 170 kph top speed has now moved well into V-rated tire territory. The conversion also entailed bigger brakes and beautiful later-model Fuchs 14" forged wheels. What a grand GT for weekends such as this one.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 01-19-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: corrected wheel size from 15" to 14"

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

and a few more to finish the M-B coverage.

Also in attendance a visiting member who was there for the first time in his relatively rare '93 Porsche 993 RS ( yes, the good desirable year with OBD I ), in the striking Midnight Metallic Blue shade with modified suspension, exhaust, and interior made more suitable for DE and track driving.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 01-19-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    and a few more to finish the M-B coverage.

Also in attendance a visiting member who was there for the first time in his relatively rare '93 Porsche 993 RS ( yes, the good desirable year with OBD I ), in the striking Midnight Metallic Blue shade with modified suspension, exhaust, and interior made more suitable for DE and track driving.
    Is that a 993 or a 964 in your picture?
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Of course it's a 964...........sorry, my mind was elsewhere.

JZG

I've really started to like the looks of the 964s. I know many like the bright colors, but this one is a beautiful color in my opinion.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)