Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Car Cover do you use?

What Car Cover do you use?

My car has new paint and lives in a garage with possums and other stuff that just can't be sealed out...

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety of car covers available, I know I only need an inside use one but there quite a lot of brands and fabrics to choose from. Any favourites out there?

Cheers
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I favor the old traditional - heavy khaki cotton with fleece lining. Covercraft and others make them to order; they're pretty pricey, but hard to beat. I've got to think, though that they might be more tempting for varmints to chew on than the synthetic materials; do your critters chew up stuff in the garage to make nests?

I choose not to use one. I've tried in the past, but found they trap the moisture in during the heavy temperature/humidity shifts that happen here in the northeast during everything but the dead of winter. I prefer to give the car a heavy/good coat of wax, and to clean it up before and after storage.

of all the ones I used, I really liked the satin-ish ones, they were nicely lined with a cotton/flannel, they stored very compactly, easy to handle, and the cars looked great wearing them
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I use the Porsche one from my 997, and it does the job.

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I always cover the car in the garage because my family goes in and out of the house that way and they will spill things and scratch the car without even realizing it. I have had several car covers, but I wouldn't hesitate to order again the same type I am using now. I got it from Pelican: "StormProof by CoverKing". The cover fits perfectly because when I ordered, I was able to specify one driver-side mirror only and a ducktail. It looks very good and does the job. Cost me $245.

EDIT: This is an outdoor car cover, but is very light and works fine indoors --
    Last edited by uptheorg; 01-25-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

California Car Cover. They are a step child of the old Beverley Hills Car cover Co. Many fabrics to choose from and you can specify mirrors, tails and so on. Have also used the good ole Porsche silverguard without issues. I really miss my old 100% cotton light weight BH cover that finally just fell apart.

+1 on the Covercraft heavy khaki cotton with fleece lining for indoor use. My garage gets pretty dusty and this cover keeps my baby nice and cozy. Heck, I'd even curl up in the cover for a nap.
    Outdoors, I've got a cheepo Costco cover but have never used it.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Porsche - There Is No Substitute 2POINT7's Avatar
    You've received good advice on car covers, now let me offer some more advice of a slightly different flavor. The garage you describe sounds like it may very well be prone to one of the worst enemies out there.....mice. Although I have never had an issue with them myself, I have heard numerous stories over the years of the damage they can do to a car. Do a little research on this topic and use whatever is necessary to keep them out of your exhaust, engine bay, etc. Jusy my 2 cents worth.
    Ed Cave
    Atlanta, GA

Member No. 738

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
    1998 Porsche Carrera S
    2008 Porsche Carrera S (her dd)
    2013 Audi A7 (my dd)

I agree with sonnet43.... I had a problem with my '67 Bonneville with moisture being trapped under the cover. I had it under wraps for a long time, and it looked terrible when I took the cover off eventually. Mold, rust, etc.

If you've got power in the garage, and you're looking for long term storage, you may want to consider a CarCapsule. It does take up an extra foot all around, and there is a fan running all the time. It will also protect against small things falling against the car way better than a normal cover.

http://www.carcapsule.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    My car has new paint and lives in a garage with possums and other stuff that just can't be sealed out...

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety of car covers available, I know I only need an inside use one but there quite a lot of brands and fabrics to choose from. Any favourites out there?

Cheers

My thoughts and experience with these isn't always about brand but rather the following issues:
    - you never want to place any brand on a dirty car. You'll be dusting your car with grime every time you use it. Even if you have a clean car, one side of the car cover will always be dirty and then unless you are very careful, that grime will get on your car.
    - think before laying one on a car that is still warm. Your muffler could cook the thing
    - when putting on on or taking one off, one big problem is you could pull on antenna, side mirrors, windshield wipers and bumper edges
    - wind does catch these things no matter how tightly fastened on this car.
    - trapped moisture is a huge problem
    - they offer very little protection unless conditions exceed the normal conditions. (Under fruit trees, heavy elements and excessive sand blowing)
    - under hot sun, some will put out smells of rubbers and plastics.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384