Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75 Carerra i.d. help needed

75 Carerra i.d. help needed

Save for one brief mention of this car the current owner and I have been keeping quiet about it until we could get the cars COMPLETE history, as what we are being told is kind of interesting. BUT I have come to a dead end with an anomoly on the VIN. EVERYTHING about this car falls into it being a 75 Euro Carerra. I have no doubt it is. The current owner has known about it since the late 70's and finally bought it in the mid 80's.

Here is the issue 911 510 1206 the 510 being the mystery. I have never seen this sequence and the Carerra MFI site has no records of another. I contacted the admin over there several months ago and never got any response.

Where this gets interesting: The story the current owner has been told by 2 other people with knowledge of this car, is that a factory tech built it for himself, ran it in Germany and it was sold and imported to the U.S. in the late 70's. We are assuming that if we can prove this to be true, then it can be validated as a real Carrera. Does anyone here have info on another 510 numbered car? All others for 75 I have found were 560 or 561

Final pic is when it was still being raced in the 90's The roof antenna is FACTORY, this has been the other sticking point. I have yet to find another pic of one, but I find no signs the headliner was ever out, and when I pulled it down to inspect, the antenna wire is run down the a-pillar and pulled through the cowl. I find it hard to believe someone in the 70's went through that effort for a C.B.

Currently the car is NOT for sale. We are trying to figure out it's history

Last edited by Scotty B; 01-25-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

Scotty,

I think the car is a regular G Series 911 being that the 5th digit is a "1"- if it was a Euro Carrera that digit would be a "6"
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Yeah that's the issue.This car has everything Euro Carrera on it and has as long as the current owner has known about, and owned it. It has all the proper carrera parts including the engine, tail, gauges, brakes etc. We also find it hard to believe that in the late 70's / early 80's someone saw enough value to the car to put all this stuff on it One theory that we are looking at is that IF this car was built by a factory design tech, is it possible he grabbed a U.S. Carrera body to build on ?
    Last edited by Scotty B; 01-25-2013 at 10:18 AM.

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

I'm assuming the engine does not match the car per Porsche (a 911/83 engine obviously wouldn't be found leaving the factory in a standard 911/911S or US spec Carrera). Theories we have won't provide answers but maybe this tech "put it together" to have the appearance/performance of a higher end model (Carrera) on a standard 75 911? Again this is speculation but only the data from Porsche will provide answers (ie what should the correct engine be given the VIN, how did 9115101206 leave the factory, etc.). Any other "510" car is simply a 1975 (5) 911 (1) Coupe (0) so those 3 digits don't signify any special unfortunately IMO. Maybe others can weigh in but strange indeed.

Marco
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Yes clearly the 'SC' on the AL VIN tag was stamped ex-Factory. I don't know '75 cars well enough to know if the 'G' was commonly stamped on the tag or it was embossed. Is the engine serial # 665XXXX? Can you put up a photo of the engine serial #?
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

The engine is still at the owners house. He used to have a Porsche /Ferarri repair shop and began tearing this car down to restor. That was about the time the hwole economy was starting to die. He ended up closing his shop, and boxing up all of the partsincluding the disassembled engine. I Think he may have emailed me the case number. I'll check my e-mails and see if he did

just checked, what he sent me was the injection pump number. Also a pic of it. He said when he sent me that that the engine was in his garage and was having a hornet problem. I'm hoping he can get it out now that it is cold so I can have the number.

Last edited by Scotty B; 02-17-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Well, we all know what pump that is...we await the engine number with great curiosity Until then, any other pics of the MFI pump- casting numbers etc. so we can get a manuf. date for this RS pump? Maybe it will provide some more clarity on what's going on

Marco
    Last edited by Kaleid; 01-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

I have two more pics of the pump, but neither is close enough to show a casting number. Some of the pertinent pics I took when I cleaned it out, and some he sent me ( engine lid and MFI pump still at his house) are here :

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

The green knob to the right of the steering wheel was for hood mounted Cibies that were stolen. He said when he got the car it had a lightweight hood and bumpers, Cibies mounted on the hood, and IIRC 16" Fuchs. When it was parked behind his shop and torn down to restore the Cibies and liteweight parts went missing
    Last edited by Scotty B; 01-25-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Here is a REAL plate for a REAL Euro Carrera (albeit 1974 MY). IMHO you should:
    1. ask for a COA
    2. check the build number

My 0.2 Euro Cents

Vin+Euro+Carrera+1974.jpg
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Scotty,

One of your pics in that album shows the production number of "1042071"- I think this would indicate the car is a 74 not a 75- 3rd digit is the production year- 2071 is the sequential build number for the body. VERY weird considering the VIN stamp in the chassis (front trunk).
    Last edited by Kaleid; 01-26-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245