Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 911 seatbelt mounting points.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

1972 911 seatbelt mounting points.

trying to find the stock mounts. I can't find any. Someone step drilled holes with their eyes closed in the chassis back by the wheel well. They then proceeded to rig some awful way to mount seat belts back there with a strange aluminum bushing with a bolt through it.....I dont want to re-use this set up for obvious reasons, and how have to fill the stupid hole.

Where were they mounted from the factory? I didn't see any threads on the car. Were they typically mounted straight to the seat? I'm confused. Maybe I should just get the roll cage and mount to that...?

thanks.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

When I converted from lap belts to retractables, I found the factory pre-tapped mounting holes in the upper wheel well arch for both sides of the car. You may need to do some light undercoating scraping, but they should be there.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by denson View Post
    When I converted from lap belts to retractables, I found the factory pre-tapped mounting holes in the upper wheel well arch for both sides of the car. You may need to do some light undercoating scraping, but they should be there.
    hmm.... mine were all hogged out. this is what was in a hole on the wheel arch:

one side had the bushing one did not. the bushing sits in the hole on the passenger side. neither is threaded and each had a nut as shown. the rubber oring was a nice touch, and why I thought the mounting point to not be factory...amongst all the other bad decisions I found in the seatbelt system.
    Last edited by Kris Clewell; 01-30-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    -Kris Clewell

The inertia reel mounting bolt is already in the car. It is located just forward of the rear wheel arch and can be seen by looking just forward of a rear tire. It is a strap about 3 inches long with a bolt in it that covers up the captive nut. The bolt is the same one that is used to attach the seatbelts to the brackets on your seats. Every LWB car came with the mounts for inertia reel even though they never came until 72. Sorry for the crappy pictures but it should give you an idea what to look for.

Regards

Jim
    PS: The strap is horizontal, not like my crooked pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images   

In addition to what Jim shows as to location, all seat belt bolt sizes are 7/16th" SAE fine thread. Can't tell what the bolt is you have in your hand though. Also when installing retractor belts there would have been a spacer (although I don't remember it being quite that thick) between the retractor housing and the inner fender panel to space out the retactor housing to allow for the thickness of the upholstery panel. Makes me wonder if your original captive nut was ruined by installing the wrong size bolt, hence the nut that was used.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    In addition to what Jim shows as to location, all seat belt bolt sizes are 7/16th" SAE fine thread. Can't tell what the bolt is you have in your hand though. Also when installing retractor belts there would have been a spacer (although I don't remember it being quite that thick) between the retractor housing and the inner fender panel to space out the retactor housing to allow for the thickness of the upholstery panel. Makes me wonder if your original captive nut was ruined by installing the wrong size bolt, hence the nut that was used.
    sounds like a likely scenario. sounds like I'll have to make something. maybe a bolt welded to an engine mount washer. Or just do my roll cage I wanted to do anyways. I'll investigate more. thank you guys!
    -Kris Clewell

While a bit late tothe party, this picture shows the stock locations for the rear seat belts in my 1973.

As noted above, all seat belts worldwide use the same size grade 5 bolt.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

I have a 72E stripped down to a shell at the moment so if you want any more photos of stock mount locations please let me know.

Mick

My seat mounted seatbelt bolt is preventing the drivers seat back from being tilted forward to allow access to the rear seats. I guess this is not the correct bolt and that it has been incorrectly assembled at some point? Should the bolt come through from the other side of the mount point?

Name:  Seat belt bolt.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  91.5 KB
    Last edited by SpawnyWhippet; 01-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    Member # 2899
    1972 911T
    2004 996 C4S
    2001 996 Carrera
    2008 Cayenne S (sold)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo (sold)
    2009 997 cabriolet (sold)
    2002 996 Turbo (sold)
    1998 Boxster S (sold)
    1997 993 cab (sold)
    1989 911 3.2 Carrera (sold)

You have two problems.

1-The bolt head goes between the seat and the ear.
    2-The bolt has a very thin head to allow it to fit in this tight spot. The bolt is short so the threads barely protrude outside of the ear.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300