Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions how I research a UK 70S?

Any suggestions how I research a UK 70S?

When I got my 70S it came with zero history (as well as it having been converted to a turbo wide body, which I am reversing).

I have obtained the usual details from Porsche - delivered as RHD in the UK in Dec 1969 with rego CLK92H, and engine and 'box numbers that confirm it is matching numbers.

I have tracked it backwards to a Mannheim (Fowles) auction in 2001 in Melbourne Australia. Rego around that time was NMH695.

But everything between Dec 1969 and 2001 is a mystery. Historian Hugh over here can tell me the car has been in Australia for a fair old while.

I have emailed the DVLA in the UK but they say pre 1986 records are gone, and Australian Customs don't keep records based on chassis number before 1989.

Porsche say it is NOT a tourist delivery car, and the info they have supplied for the UK delivery lists the dealer as "N/A". From a previous enquiry on DDK I have been advised it is not an 'AFN car'.

Anyone have any suggestions about how I might get more info at the UK end of its history?

Eg I often hear people citing the ownership history of their UK cars - does this come only from details that come with the car, or is there another way to get info I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell - I know your threads on DDK got responses from Nick Moss but did you have any contact with Ian McLeod ?

He is the Porsche Club GB's registrar for the early 911 models.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

CL is an old Norwich prefix if that narrows it down a tad !
    Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo

I believe it's the second two digits which determine original registration and LK is London.

Concur with Andy, Ian McLeod is your man.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    I believe it's the second two digits which determine original registration and LK is London.

Concur with Andy, Ian McLeod is your man.

Regards
    Mike
    Well spotted Mike, CLK November 1969 onwards London reg, that means it won't have had as much mud up the arches
    Phil Hindley
    Tech 9 Motorsport
    United Kingdom

www.tech-9.co.uk

Early S registry membership #2207

65 911 Racecar
    82 911 SC Coupe
    91 944 Turbo

thanks everyone

yes I have communicated with Ian, he was very helpful, he confirmed the info I have plus (looking again at what he sent me) advised selling dealer was PCGB

he also put a request for any further info in Porsche Post but nothing further was forthcoming

so looks like my only avenue is to continue tracking backwards from what I know so far of the car in Australia

thanks again

Mitchell

Did you get the first owners name and address off the Kardex?
    He may be still alive?

I know this is hard the get but this would help...

Lee

I'm told the Kardex is no longer available, just get car details from Porsche, no names.

Send me your email address!

Lee

Hi Mitchell

Im having the same problem with my car in New Zealand.
    It was originally a UK delivered car and trying to track down any information from the DVLA has been impossible. I have filled out a form (cant remember what the number was) and sent photos from its time in the UK and a paper trail proving ownership. I got a response back from them about 2 months later stating as the car was exported they could not release any info on it.

I also talked to Ian McLeod and he was extremely helpful but im still wanting to find the UK history.