Thread: 911ST Enlarged Door Pocket for Navigator

911ST Enlarged Door Pocket for Navigator

I am switching to lightweight door cards but still need a door pocket for my navigator's maps and other sundries. I know the factory teams used a couple different locations for this stuff, but the one that I feel works best is shown in the images of ST's below. Questions surround a lot of this race stuff, and there may not be straight answers.... however, I'll be grateful for any and all info relating to my questions, even if that info raises more questions.

• The two photos below show two different map pockets... they are different sizes and have different shapes to the top opening. Does this indicate they are handmade by individuals, not actual OE parts?
      -
    • In the second shot it appears that the inside of the box is lined with galvanized tin or sheet metal - is that true or is it just the angle of the light?
      -
    • Does anyone know if these were made in any quantity by Porsche, or were they handmade by the Werks guys or perhaps by the teams themselves?
      -
    • Does anyone have measurements for this thing?

Name:  ST-interior_doorpocket_sm.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  ST_interior_map-pocket_sm.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  49.5 KB
    Last edited by bxd; 02-06-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Looks like they both have metal inside, bad lighting and angle on first picture.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Looks like they both have metal inside, bad lighting and angle on first picture.
    Definitely poor resolution in that first shot, but methinks it's lined with vinyl... but who knows, you could be right. The second one is definitely lined with galvanized something-or-other. Orrrr, maybe it's made of aluminum and what looks like galvi is just fingerprints...
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

None of you ST guys have any input on this? That simply can't be
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Here's another shot. In this one, it looks like aluminum with vinyl covering.

Name:  cutoff2.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  58.8 KB
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Jordan, i would think they are aluminum. The top car in your picture to my knowledge, is a factory car.
    No door cappings etc. The pull handle is also in a different location to the second car. I am not familiar with the 2nd car.
    I would use the 1st car as your data for making this part. I have not seen this part listed in the Sports purpose parts manual so, i think it is probably home made by the teams. Willing to be corrected though.

Just scale the part off of the door panel, then you have your size.

I try to use period photo's when making anything for these great ST cars. Photo's don't lie.

Dave

I would think they are aluminum. The top car in your picture to my knowledge, is a factory car. No door cappings etc. The pull handle is also in a different location to the second car. I would use the 1st car as your data for making this part. I have not seen this part listed in the Sports purpose parts manual so, i think it is probably home made by the teams.
    Yeah, I too checked both the '68 and '70 Sports Purposes manuals and didn't see them listed, so I'm fairly convinced that they are one-offs. And I think you're spot-on...it looks like aluminum. The weird thing is that they are made of metal and not wood or fiberboard...much easier to build a little box out of wood than to weld an aluminum box together. -As we know, these old race cars had functional practicalities to them that made sense at that particular time, based on the teams' preferences, some of which may or may not be obvious to us now...maybe it was made of metal because it was used for a specific thing, or series of things, that was/were somewhat heavy...like extra fuel pump, brake parts, lug nuts, etc.

I can kinda eye-ball the dimensions from the photo... sure wish I had more photos of that Werks car.
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Quote Originally Posted by bxd View Post
    much easier to build a little box out of wood than to weld an aluminum box together
    Just a guess: consider the weight of a plywood box of sufficient thickness to be durable versus the aluminum version.

you're probably right, Bill - much more likely a weight consideration, rather than an ease-of-building thing.
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933