Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: 1973.5 911T Targa- 100% original including paint, 1 owner since 1974- $65k

FS: 1973.5 911T Targa- 100% original including paint, 1 owner since 1974- SOLD

It is with great reservation that I list this car for sale. It is one of the most original and correct examples I have seen. I have spent considerable time describing the car. I am a fairly knowledgable early car guy but certainly defer to the expertise of many on this forum. If you find any information I need to correct if I could humbly request a PM with your insight! Thanks!

The car is listed exclusively here in the hopes that it will go to another Registry member.
    DSC_1036.jpg

So here she is:

1973.5 Porsche 911 CIS “T” Targa

VIN/Chassis #- 9113112247
    Engine #- 6135965
    Transmission #- 731503
    Exterior Color- Gold Metallic- 88
    Interior- Brown Leather- 76
    Build Date- July 1973
    Original Miles- 78,249

If you are looking for a VERY original and correct longhood 911, here is your car! Here are the details:

This particular car was sold new at Interlake Porsche-Audi in Bellevue, WA on September 4th 1973 to a Mr. W. R. in Seattle, WA. He kept the car not quite a year and on August 17th, 1974 Interlake Porsche sold the car to a Mr. C.O. of Port Angeles, WA. The car had 11,055 miles on it. Mr. C.O. babied and loved this car for the next 38 years and it has been in his care ever since. Current mileage as of today is 78,249 miles.

The amazing thing about this car is how original and correct the car is and it is 100% documented. The basic highlights:

• The car is wearing 100% original paint. Feel free to run a paint meter over the entire car; it measures spot on across the entire car. The early 2 stage cars almost always had clear coat failure, so I cant remember the last time I have seen an early metallic car wearing original paint! The depth of shine on the paint is unreal, I never liked this color in photos but I don’t think I had ever seen this color in original finish. WOW! It does have a few small areas where the clear is starting to fail, but not enough that I would ever refinish it. You could never duplicate this again!
    • Documentation- I have every single receipt including the recall services and warranty work done starting in 1973! I have copious notes from the time of purchase showing every service, right down to what he waxed the car with! There is no doubts as to what work has been performed or that the mileage is actual. How often do you find that?
    • Originality- this car is one of the most original examples I have ever seen. The only changes from original are the radio (radio is easy, been struggling to find the original dash trim!) , a set of ADDCO sway bars that were added in 1975 (have the documentation on that as well!) and Carrera Tensioners. Every piece of trim, interior, etc. etc. is how the car was delivered! It even still maintains the correct and ridiculous 1973 USA ride height! I have wanted to correct that, but some part of me hates too since when is the last time you actually saw one as they delivered it?
    • Overall Condition- This car was obsessively loved and it shows. It has never been out in any kind of weather and has always been kept covered in a climate-controlled garage. One beautiful thing about Western Washington is that there is no intense heat or sunlight to damage rubber and trim and no harsh climate for fear of rust. You will simply be in awe when you look at the overall shape of this car. I still marvel at it.
    • Mechanical- The car has been very well serviced throughout its life. It starts right up, idles smoothly, makes great power, shifts as a nice 915 should and basically drives like you would expect a time capsule car would. EVERYTHING on the car works as delivered. Looking though the history it has had no significant work other than maintenance, believe it or not the motor has never even been out of the car!
    • Interior- I love the fact the car came from the factory with real leather in Brown, So many of these cars are in Black vinyl, the richness of this interior is incredible. The dash is perfect, as are all the panels, trim, switches, gauges, etc. The carpet actually blows my mind; it clearly has never been cleaned with anything as it has the supple nap of new carpet. The leather seats have a nice patina (the flash makes them look too shiny in photos) with no egregious wear. It has a new set of Cocoa mats for that period look.
    • Options- this car comes with some very cool options: Real leather interior, appearance package (S-gauges and trim, wheel well trim, rocker trim, etc.), Mahle Gas Burner magnesium wheels, and tinted glass. It’s as cool a 1973.5 T Targa, as you would find.
    • Accessories- when looking for a collector grade early car you want all the items one would have come with. It has the correct late 1973 snap style tool kit, (photo shows a few missing wrenches, thanks to JAudette it is now complete!) jack, all 3 original keys, correct manuals and maintenance book, correct vinyl pouch, etc. I even have the correct radio antenna key for it! Other cool items included photos from 1974 when the car was delivered to Mr. C.O. and a letter sent to Mr. C.O. signed by Ferry Porsche!
    • Rust Free- I would almost NEVER use that term on any early Porsche, but I would challenge someone to crawl all over this car and find corrosion. Mr. C.O. claims it never saw rain in his ownership and I am always a skeptic, but pore over this car from top to bottom and I think he was telling the truth! One item worth noting is the owner coated the trunk area under the spare tire and battery compartments with a back undercoating when the car was almost new (noted in the records) because he was worried that if the batteries leaked acid it could cause corrosion. Never did, but he was worried…

Now just so you don’t think I am only good at superlatives on cars, its still a 40-year-old Porsche and has flaws. They are as follows:

• Paint and Body- it does have original paint with 40 years and 78k miles of use. As such it has the amount of rock chips on the nose you would expect it to have. It also has a few nicks and such that have been touched up over the years. It is also starting to experience areas of clear coat delamination. It is starting to occur just above the rear decklid grille and on the driver’s side of the front cowl. Not bad but its there, I just personally would rather have some flaw and 100% original paint, but that can be left to the next owner. There is a slight wow in the front rubber bumper trim between the two overriders where someone obviously bumped something at one time.
    • Interior- The radio is not original and should be fitted with a correct period Blaupunkt. The owner did have rear deck mounted speaker boxes (gotta love the 1970’s!) that were fastened to the rear deck so there are some holes from the fasteners, not cut for speakers but screw holes. In relation to how nice the car is the rear deck should be replaced. The carpet mat on the driver’s side does show some wear under the left foot area, as seen in the pictures. The seats show the patina of 40 years and 78k miles.
    • Mechanical- As mentioned above the motor has never been out of the car, which I think as a benefit as it has never been messed with. It does have a few minor oil leaks such that the car will leave a few drops of oil the size of a quarter if let to sit for a few days. Not enough to justify going crazy over, but worth noting. Frankly if I kept the car I think it would be fun to drop the motor, clean up any leaks and go crazy with the solvents and toothbrushes. The owner always kept it very clean but it’s never had the engine out, OCD obsessed, PCA Parade level engine compartment detail. The engine compartment that you see in the photos is how I got the car.
    • Misc- I have very complete documentation but I don’t have the original window sticker (damn!). The tires are older and should be replaced, I just didn’t know what route the next owner would go for wheels, and so I didn’t replace them.

In terms of mechanical work it has had the following items in the last 2k miles:

• New drive belt
    • Oil and Filter
    • New front Bilstein shocks
    • Both rear wheel bearings
    • Adjust valves
    • New plugs
    • New Valve cover gaskets
    • Brake fluid flush
    • New front hood shocks

If you haven’t had the chance to drive a 2.4-liter CIS car you are in for a treat! Having owned lots of pre-1973 911’s this is just an absolute sweetheart to drive. It starts right up, idles smoothly, has no flat spots even when cold, has a very smooth power band from idle to redline and gets amazing fuel mileage. For those of us who have owned MFI 911’s (awesome cars) the one disadvantage is dismal fuel economy, I drove this car 250 miles on less than half a tank, on one of my MFI cars I am desperately hunting for fuel at 250 miles!

I am happy to send more photos, provide more history, discuss the car at length, etc. Just let me know what you need!
    Overall I think you would be challenged to find a more original, correct and well-documented example. I am sure that I have left out lots of details, email with any questions and I am happy to talk live to you about the car.

As a note, the "CMY 911" Washington Green and White Plate ARE NOT INCLUDED in the sale, sorry! Way to cool to give up...

dsc_1023.jpg
    dsc_1031.jpg
    dsc_1043.jpg
    dsc_1049.jpg
    Last edited by CVLCPorsche; 02-07-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Updated status

dsc_0764.jpg

I have hundreds of more photos, let me know what else you might want to see!

That's a beautiful car, I think the first time I've seen Mahle wheels on that late of a car. You rarely find a car with such a complete trail of documentation. I hope it finds another good home.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

You have a pm, Scott.

I thought people would like the car... 17 minutes to 1st PM, Pending to first member who inquired. I will let you know if for some reason the deal doesn't work although it turns out its a member who bought another car from me a few years ago so it should be quick and easy.

This is the kind of car that should be documented from top to bottom in photos as a reference guide for those of us who wish to know absolute original details of a particular year/model. How often will such a splendid original example surface in the future? The chance to photographically document an original unmolested car for common sharing is disappearing over the horizon. Memories may not survive but documentation does.

Beautiful car.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681