Thread: Steering Wheel Alignment

Steering Wheel Alignment

My steering wheel is not quite perfectly centered; it's off by a few degrees to the right (the right spokes are lower than the left). I know I can fix this by adjusting the tie rods, but I can't remember which direction moves the wheel back to the left. Do I shorten the left and lengthen the right tie rods (an equal amount, of course), or is the the other way around. And for the sake of estimating this, how much movement should one full turn produce in the wheel?

TIA.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Have you considered a 27mm socket/rachet w/ extension and removing the wheel? The splines are fine enough that you can put the wheel anywhere you want.

Am I missing something???

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom

There are 40 splines which equals 9 degrees per spline. My wheel is not that far off. Besides, that's way too easy!!

Thanks.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Gotcha.

Ever try hitting a curb?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Nick, the steering wheel should always be installed so that there are equal turns from dead center to lock to lock, from that point the steering wheel should not be changed to center it. Since your right spokes are lower you need to slightly toe-out that side (right side) and equally toe-in the left. That will force the wheel to come slightly left to center to the toe when driving. I mark the tie-rod with a paint dab so I can see how much I'm turning each tie-rod to insure equal turns. I'd say on yours a half turn of each tie-rod should be very close.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed; I figured you would be the guy to guide me on this. And no disrespect to Tom for his two very simple solutions. So, if I'm reading this right, I lengthen the right side tie rod half a turn, and shorten the left. I have a nice yellow dab of paint urging me to get going. Thanks.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

You could also invite your buddy over for a beer and get it done. You know what I mean.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Thanks Ed; I figured you would be the guy to guide me on this. And no disrespect to Tom for his two very simple solutions. So, if I'm reading this right, I lengthen the right side tie rod half a turn, and shorten the left. I have a nice yellow dab of paint urging me to get going. Thanks.
    Just the opposite Nick, to toe out the right side you need to SHORTEN the right side tie-rod, that makes the wheel toe-out, and then of course opposite for the left tie-rod, lengthen it.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Scott, if you are in San Diego there is always a full fridge, some tools and a place to stay!! Let me know when you are coming down, I know you love it up there, but you will eventually rust

Ed, thanks...that's why I confirmed. It makes sense now.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

I'd start by finding the spot where the steering is just a little bit tighter with a little drag and no play. this is where the steering wheel must be centered. It takes the play out of the steering going straight ahead. maintain that position when you adjust your tie rods for proper toe in. On SWB cars there is an adjustment to to the amount of drag at center, on later racks there are shims under the cover. the shop manual has torque values for the steering at center.