Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: identify this alternator

Restoration newbie.

identify this alternator

Is this standard for 67S, not that anyone will see it.

Name:  IMG_20130211_094346.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  108.9 KB

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Andy, in 67 everything was Bosch, I don't believe Motorola started until 69 or 70
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Restoration newbie.
    Thanks Ed. I see two Motorolas in PET for up to 68. 901 603 113 00 & 901 603 114 00 being 840w & 490w respectively. Do you know how one would tell the two apart? This was a UK delivery if that makes a difference.

andy
    67S in pieces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You have to be careful using PET because that is the modern parts listing and shows superseded parts that weren't available when the car was new. The rated wattage was only 490 at the time, an 840 watt didn't come into usage until the mid-seventies I believe. The only way to know for sure is to look in the parts BOOKS of the day. I'll do that tomorrow just to verify.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Restoration newbie.
    Much appreciated Ed, this stuff is why I love this forum!

This car came equipped with Rally kit which specifies a 'high output alternator', only trouble is I have no way of knowing whether this is that original alternator. I will carefully look it over for date stamps if they exist tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to check your books for me.

andy
    67S in pieces
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Andy this is what I know (by head).

For the SWB there were 2 different BOSCH alternators, 35 and 55 AMP. The 55 I believe to be the 'high' output.

Also might there be a difference in regulators and does a Motorolla use a different regulator than a BOSCH.

Look forward to Ed's input tomorrow.

Richard

Andy

This is the one that was on my late '68 model year TR (basically an "S" engine), this was a May/June '68 build and RHD ordered and delivered direct to Kenya so RoW spec I presume but not sure if that is classed as the same as UK?

I should add that the car was ordered for circuit racing rather than rallying so I would assume this is the standard alternator rather than the uprated one that was offered to cope with extra lighting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bantam; 02-11-2013 at 12:13 AM.
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

I don't have it at hand, but in the little spec book for the SWB (towards the end) you will find the names / types of the alternators that were used.

Richard

Do you gents notice what is different about these two Motorola/SEV alternators above?

Look carefully at the diode plate. Bantam's has a SINGLE D+/61 diode, whereas the one at the top has two. The single diode version is the original, the one that is pictured in the factory workshop manual (and the corresponding diagram).

I agree with Richard, for rally use a 55A/770W alternator would make more sense to run the stadium lights. But I don't know when that came in.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks for bringing this up Andy, a little time in the 66-68 parts book today was very educational. The standard alternator for U.S. was a 490 W Bosch, but for 911TU (which I believe to be ROW) a 490 W Motorola is listed. And here is the best part, for "sonderwunsch" (special wishes?) i.e. 'rally, competition use' a 840 W Motorola is listed. In all the years I've looked in this book I don't remember ever noticing that. And it was shown as being for all models and U.S.A. That wattage alternator was not used again until late in 1975, a 770 W was used from 69 until then. I DO learn something every day
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.