Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test drove a new 991 S...not at all what I expected.

Test drove a new 991 S...not at all what I expected.

We have had at least 12 air cooled 911s, a 04 GT3 and currently a 997 S. Along with the 997 we have a 67S and a 71T (RS)

The new 991 is amazingly good. I was ready to dislike it. Almost expecting to dislike it. I was stunned how much fun it was with all the
    Porsche doo-dads being 'on'. Sport exhaust (sounds very Ferrari like when its activated. We also have a 09 Ferrari Scuderia), the suspension settings are very noticeable. With a couple buttons pushed the car goes from a GT Cruiser to a very convincing toothy hot rod.
    The 991 Carrera S DOES feel connected, alive. Our 997 was good...the 991 is simply great.

For those of you who are anti-water cooled 911....go drive one. Porsche is at a new level with the 991 S. I felt sort-a proud of Porsche for moving the game forward as far as the have over the 997.

We are going to sell the 997 Carrera S and the Ferrari Scuderia..replacing with a 2013 991. Will be happy with the long hoods in the garage.

WOW ! but how do you account for the over 3000 lbs. in this car compared to the 2100 in a early 911. It has to be like a Buick, right? Regards Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    WOW ! but how do you account for the over 3000 lbs. in this car compared to the 2100 in a early 911. It has to be like a Buick, right? Regards Chris
    Chris, it's called 45 years of technological progress....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    I would certainly hope its a nice car. I don't think its proper to be anti water cooled... that never made sense to me, but its certainly copacetic to be anti gizmo, and anti boring. were you able to find the engine? I couldnt find it when I looked.

porsche_991_09.jpg
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Louie, you will love your new purchase.

Was fortunate to drive one courtesty of the Porsche Driving Experience at a local track. It was also an S with a sport exhaust, with floppy paddles. It was an amazing car (and I don't use 'amazing' lightly). At 135 it was pulling light a freight train when entering the brake zone. The car was blindingly quick, cornered like it was on rails, howled like a panther in heat at WOT and was totally confidence inspiring. Long and short of it; it is one hell of a car. And the styling ain't too bad either.

On the other hand, other than checking the oil, washer fluid level and air pressure in the tires, you can forget any DIY.
    Last edited by RickS; 02-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

spiritually I am with the majority of you. Like I said...I wanted to dislike it. Go drive one. Just do it...you will be converted. The DNA from my long hoods lives on and that makes me smile.

Seriously fellas...go drive one. BRILLIANT car.

I am sure that is how the original buyer in the fall of 1966 thought about our 67S

It is a different car, at a different time. Changes include almost 85% of the 991 are order automatic. Is this bad? I think its is because the PDK trans is that good.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

That's certainly encouraging for the future. Manufacturers seem to finally be reversing the trend towards bigger, fatter cars, primarily for "green" reasons. We get a lighter, better handling car with even more HP as a welcome side effect. The new M4 should be similar, but I'm keeping my DD E46 M3 Comp till they prove otherwise.

How was the new electronic steering we hear so much about compared to the 997? How do you find the latest electronic aids, say for occasional DE? Is there a sweet spot?
    Henry Garazo
    '68 Polo Red 911L Barn Find
    '70T 2.7 Coupe
    '58 1600S T2-A Speedster
    '87 Triple Black Carrera Coupe
    "Form Follows Function"
    Early 911S Registry #962
    Potomac Region PCA

I believe the "only" difference between your 1967 911S and the 991S is $115,000 and in 3 years it will be worth 1/2 dealers purchase price. Before you take the plunge go drive the Nissan GT-R S....less $$ and even faster !!
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    spiritually I am with the majority of you. Like I said...I wanted to dislike it. Go drive one. Just do it...you will be converted. The DNA from my long hoods lives on and that makes me smile.
    what part of the DNA? other than the location of the engine can you elaborate? I've driven at the school as well, though admittedly not 991's and I was having a good time but it lacked something. I was missing something on the track with all the traction control, gizmos, lack of noise... not to mention the PDK buttons are all wrong, and are just another step to make driving "easier". The adrenaline just didn't flow. I'm a firm believer in that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car fast. I can't imagine getting the most of out of a 991. In cars like the 991, they are just so good, that any time you are on the limit with the car, and actually feeling some emotion...you are about to lose your drivers license.

Wonderful cars, wonderful technology, and extremely fast. I mean hell, you can rip a lap time 15 seconds faster than I can in my shitbox 911. You can do it with heated seats and airconditioning. You've got adaptive electric steering, hydraulic clutches, and power brakes the size of my television. You can be blasting your favorite driving song while ripping a clover leaf faster than anyone did in 1973 and you can do it faster than almost any vehicle even produced at the time, road or track. The suspension itself adjusts dynamically to your every move. Its got a longer, wider, better track. Better tires. Wider tires. Far more power. Far more reliable power. on and on and on. And to be honest, all those reasons are precisely why to me it holds no DNA whatsoever from its long hood step cousin five times removed.

I dont want confidence when driving in the way these new cars have it. I want to feel fear. I want to be challenged. I want to think "I might not make it" if I screw up. I don't want to think "if I screw up, thank God I have the ECU to save me." There's no romance in safety...

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    I believe the "only" difference between your 1967 911S and the 991S is $115,000 and in 3 years it will be worth 1/2 dealers purchase price. Before you take the plunge go drive the Nissan GT-R S....less $$ and even faster !!
    I hear the GT-R comes with 365 days of free hair gel and 25 ounces of self bronzer. :P
    Last edited by Kris Clewell; 02-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1