Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: @eBay - NOS Red Banjo Horns

FS: @eBay - NOS Red Banjo Horns

Totally not mine. Just spotted these on eBay. Thought I'd inform the group since lots of people seem to be looking for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370763047979?redirect=mobile

No comment on the asking price.
    update: looks like they sold already for $759
    So... who scored these? I'm guessing it's a forum member. You don't even want to know what I paid for an identical NOS set a few years ago
    Last edited by kentf14; 02-19-2013 at 08:33 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I bought them for 9112300023. It was the last item I needed and have been looking for 7 years. I know it's expensive but what isn't?? I remember when I bought a aluminum deck lid for $2000.00 and was told I paid too much. No, I don't want to know what you paid for yours!
    72S, 72T now ST

Ah, cool. At least they are going to a worthy cause. These are getting exceedingly rare these days and this set was super minty. Sometimes ya gotta pay up for the right part, I totally understand.
    I saved the box for mine after putting them on the car.. given the rarity, I couldn't bring myself to toss it.

Congrats!
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

So why exactly do these horns fail? Can they be repaired? At and these prices, why isn't someone making accurate repros? (PS I need a low tone.)

Like most things with these cars, rust is the culprit. Since they sit so low on the car moisture can get inside them and destroy the electrical bits. Other than that the plastic can be fragile.
    They can often be repaired if you open them up. Sometimes you need a donor horn or two for the parts.

Good luck in your search!
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

I finally got the balls to take mine apart. The high had never worked but now it does after 34 years. I got to admit they cleaned up just about as good as those NOS. Wonders never cease.

I know a contact for acquiring an NOS in the original box set of banjo horns, if anyone is interested, but they're too rich for me at $2,500.

A related historical thread of interest...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Trumpet-Horns

And a related link or two...

http://www.wolfsburgwarehouse.com/CK91c.htm
    http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146g...sport_fanfaren

I hope a few more sets fall out of the woodwork...
    Last edited by 72targa; 02-21-2013 at 04:51 AM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

$2500 is just highway robbery!
    These do seem to be getting harder to come by. Keep an eye on the European eBay. I picked up a NOS set in the box for <$100 and the seller thought he was taking advantage of ME.

Good luck guys!
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Feeling better about my purchase already. I know how hard it is to find these in NOS condition. $2500.00 is too much. I have some nice long horns that I'll be selling once I get the new ones. I don't have a short one. It seems that's the one for some reason that is so hard to find.
    72S, 72T now ST