View Poll Results: 73 T Restoration, back to OE or keep it RS?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • OE

17 34.69%
  • RS

32 65.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, advice needed before I make a mistake..

Please help, advice needed before I make a mistake..

About to write the first check for the start of the restoration of a 1973 911T.

Need the collectives advice:

Restore the car in its original 73 T guise or keep it as a (nicely done all metal) RS?

Details of the car:

The car is an original Tangerine non-sunroof 911. 4 speed. Its been previously made into a 911 RS. The flares are installed correctly. Car came with correct 73RS suspension etc. There appears to be no rust anywhere and the car appears to be very straight. It came with a fresh nicely built 200-ish HP 3.0 and the kicker...Harvey refinished RS wheels!

The car needs an interior. The cost is the same RS or original. My plans are to return the car to a 73 RS type touring interior. Costs more but in my mind worth it.

I have 930 Turbo brakes (and suspension). Also have a G50 Trans/ clutch etc that are modified correctly for a early 911.

The cost to restore the car into a 73RS touring (I have the correct OE side decos from a 71 RS touring) or back to OE is roughly the same.
    What should I do?

Back to stock or 73 RS Touring?

(Obviously in my mind is the ever increasing values of OE early 911s...but, I adore the 73 RSes.)

It sounds like the car is mostly in RS guise as it stands. My vote is to make the car into whatever you are going to enjoy most at the end of the work. A hot rod RS clone is going to be more fun (IMO). Remember, it costs almost the same to restore a T as it does an S, but the final value is very different. Let the next owner take it back to stock.
    Hot-rod and drive the snot out of it.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

build your hot rod! It is my experience a well done hot rod will hold its value.....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Louie, I'm sorry but I didn't vote. Polls/questions like this always seem to me like asking a bunch of guys if you should wear boxers or briefs today. You need to decide what you're wanting from your experience with this car and go from there. I guess in any case, some pictures of the car as it sits and the work done to make it an RS clone might help spark some discussion.

Good luck with your decision and the project.

I just voted rs because I've had my 71 911T for 35 years was stock for the first few years then I customized it not to rs or hot rod but just some bling for 20 years. Now for the last 10 years I'm slowly getting it back to factory original stock not concours but clean, it's still a lot of work and not cheap and I kept everything. I even bought a complete barn find 69 911T (sitting since 1980)to help and I still need to find parts.
    So like most of the other guys are saying kept it clean as is you'll have more fun and less headaches. My two cents.
    Hopper

Tough call here and all about how deep into this you want to get and what you like. The "hot rod" theme is great, but the market has a great deal of these. It seems it will cost more money to bring it back to it's original state, but it will be worth more when done and as times passes will continue on that path. I agree with others who commented when they say, it is about what you want to do with the car. You will get more of a "bang" driving a hot rod as you can do with the suspension, flares and tires what you wish. So, if you want the "bang" do the hot rod.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Browsing the web, I have to say that I see a lot of clean T's selling for price tags that were reserved for S cars just 3 years ago.

Personally I would restore the car to its original spec and leave the RS-hotrod-business to backdated Carreras.

Do you consider the car an investment, or something to be used (enjoyed)?
    Do you have the original engine?
    One word of caution. The "originality" tact is a rabbit hole that I'd try to avoid if possible (trust me, I have the sickness)

My S is pretty much all original with the exception of some mild suspension upgrades and 7" wheels. For me, this is what I wanted, not as an investment but for the driving experience and look. When I look @ my car this is what it speaks to me as and what I personally enjoy.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

If the car looks nice, I would personally spend a minimum amount of money on it until you are sure you will be keeping it for a very long time. Do the interior and add the G50, then drive it. If you decide to sell it later, you will be OK.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Thanks guys...your advice is being taken to heart.

In my mind (subject to change) this car could be a keeper when completed. I have owned 65 cars and have a decent idea of what a 'perfect 911' would be for me.

The focus of my thinking has been the financial aspects. I am not so rich that the omnipresent inner conversation about being 'under water' in a car (or any asset) can be ignored. As several of you have pointed out a well done (RS clone, Hot Rod) 911 doesn't have to be a black hole of financial despair. On my 67s the restoration costs have been easy to swallow because of the ever increasing market value of early Ses. On this T..its not so easy.

I am going to allow myself to make an emotional decision and make my 'perfect 911'. I will start a thread in March when the fellas in LA start their work.
    Marco...you ready?