Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Aluminium Rear Overriders/Bumper Guards

FS: Aluminium Rear Overriders/Bumper Guards

Manufactured in 2mm thick Aluminium Alloy - pressed as clamshells and then TIG welded on centreline.

have standard internal brackets, supplied complete with Aluminium Alloy Socket Screws, washers and 'clear' plastic plugs.

$140 each in natural polished finish.

$150 each sprayed with an 'adhesion promoter' and then gloss lacquered.

Shipping at cost.

I'll take a pair. Do you have pics of the gloss lacquered ones? PM me with payment info.
    1976 Turbo Carrera

I will take a pair please Chris
    Will call you in the morning

Cheers
    Tony

FS: Aluminium Rear Overriders/Bumper Guards

Hi Chris,

Nice bumper guards. Do you have the weight of a single bumper guard?

Can you post a photo of the interior section?

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Bert - 340 grams - just under 12 ounces (1/3 of steel parts as all thicknesses are as per standard)

Upper mounting

Lower mounting

As I said they were pressed in two halves using a Dual Form and then welded.

I will take some photographs of the lacquered parts after the weekend as I will be at the Race Retro show or a couple of days.
    Last edited by chris_seven; 02-21-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Hey Chris, they look great and I'm really interested, but I'm not sure which version to get... what is an 'adhesion promoter' and why might I want/need that?
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Laquer doesn't stick well to either polished Aluminium or Chrome and UPol have developed a material that has better adhesion than lacquer but is quite soft.

According to our paint supplier it is being used on a large number of classic bikes and works quite well.

The general idea is that the 'adhesion promoter' sticks to the metal and the lacquer sticks to the 'tie coat' and means that the lacquer is less likely to peel. Both materials are said to be completely clear.

If you don't lacquer the Aluminium it will tarnish and dull and will need to be cleaned with a metal polish such as Mothers on a regular basis.

I will try to anodise these parts but I suspect that this process will pick out the weld and will not enhance appearance. I will know within about 10 days but I am not holding my breath.

To press these part from one-piece so that they could be anodised would have been too expensive even using some of the vacuum formed Super Plastic Alloys would have cost a few thousand dollars in tooling.

We made the Dual FormTools at a relatively low cost as we don't expect to sell thousands of these parts.

Hi Chris,

I am interested in a pair, but I want to see photos of the gloss lacquered pair when you are ready.

Thanks,
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Yes, looking forward to seeing the finished product photos!
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

This one has been finished with 'adhesion promoter' and Lacquered.