Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on a turbo car- Ruf or Real

thoughts on a turbo car- Ruf or Real

I am looking at a 930 Turbo- I have two in mind. One bone stock gray w red 45K miles great shape 4 speed and stock HP 1979 year
    the other
    1983 Ruf car all the paper work sent Ruf for 5 speed and close to 200 more HP. Ruf sold over the last few days- Cars are priced near each other
    I am at a loss- should I go with the purest car or the hot rod- my issue is where are the cars going price wise? Will the Ruf do better over time?
    What are your thoughts.
    rpsurfr

“Every man's life ends the same way.
    It is only the details of how he lived, and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
    Hemmingway.

09 Audi S3
    71 911
    79 930
    81 930 Ruf
    98 911
    66 Mustang GT 350
    08 K2500
    28 various European Motorcycles
    1 bicycle

I'd say the original Turbo would be worth more in the long run if you keep the miles low on it but there's no fun in that! The Ruf is a big time Hot Rod meant to get driven hard.
    72S, 72T now ST

member #1515
    if only for the 5 speed ruf box. If you are going to drive it go for the RUF. Is it a real RUF or just built with RUF parts?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Buy them both! Put the original on display in your garage, and drive the hell out of the RUF!

Real one- built in Germany at RUF with docs . I like the idea of buying both but domestic challenges are too great to over come - I will be stretching it anyway. I will drive it. I always feel that a great car set aside for some reason is foolish. I know two very well off collectors who drive their cars all the time. I intend to drive day light out of what ever I get.
    rpsurfr

“Every man's life ends the same way.
    It is only the details of how he lived, and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
    Hemmingway.

09 Audi S3
    71 911
    79 930
    81 930 Ruf
    98 911
    66 Mustang GT 350
    08 K2500
    28 various European Motorcycles
    1 bicycle

How many miles are you really going to put on the car anyway? Yeah, low miles affects value, but the 930 as a collectible will still be collectible with another 15k miles on it in 5 years IMO. The RUF is collectible, but you already know that relatively speaking, the 930 prolly has better upside potential. And it's still a great driver.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

RUF, for the sheer performance and also 'cause is way rarer than a "simple" 930 and now has even got recognised "pedigree" with potential for appreciation. It is definitely not a "hot rod" like many others.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

The 930's are really coming into thier own in the collector car market, so from a collectability financial perspective the stock 79 wins hands down, from a fun perspective the ruf.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Drive them both and choose the one that's more fun. How could a car be worth more to you if it's not as much fun to drive. Otherwise buy bonds.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

First, don't buy any 930 without an thorough PPI by a mechanic that has excellent and specific 930 experience. These are not "really" just 911s mit turbochargers. These have numerous and complicated sub systems that have to be functioning correctly or you end up spending more like Ferrari money for upkeep and repair. Don't for a minute think you are going to own and use one of these for SC/Carrera money. If you do, that will only be because you are neglecting it and sooner or later the bills will come due. A good many of them have needs either via neglect or run hard, etc. You can see and drive one that has broken rings, etc and it will run reasonably fine. I have owned several and all but one had needs. Only one of them had superficially obvious issues, but all were $$$ to get right.

Nothing wrong with modded 930s. In fact, most 930 enthusiasts consider them as simply the base platform for building a great performance car. Ruf did nice work but it is now old technology and the components are aging with intense heat cycles on them. A GOOD modded 930 is a better car. However I am talking about cars to use and drive, not collectors cars.

Also, have you driven these cars? A stock USA 930 is needy. Soft cam timing and compression..and tuning.. , wide gearing, heavy clutches etc..make them ... well, the choice is having a "collector" car that basically sits in the garage to be adored or having an enthusiast 930 that is fantastic to drive. The Ruf has the much needed 5 speed, should also have the superior Ruf sport clutch setup, and hopefully a "Ruf" kit on the engine/chassis. There should be specific records verifying what was done to any "Ruf car" but Ruf does not send out built sheets. They do sometimes verify information but the seller should have specific documents. [Don't take the Ruf 5 speed kit lightly. It includes the transx, complete clutch/flywheel, and Ruf shifter. I spent well over $10k setting mine up and got a "deal" at the time. When I last checked just the transx cost $14,500.]

Be careful about emissions. In California they are a real PIA with emissions standards that are far stricter than the cars originally were required to pass. Here they are all assigned in the BAR "High Emitter" list and can only be tested by more strict standards. In other words, if you are in a state with strict emissions, don't accept a smog certificate as meaning you won't have issues when your turn for emissions testing comes. Insist on an independent tests so you know someone isn't doing things under the table. Ignoring this can become a nightmare.

Again, you cannot be too careful. There are a lot of modded 930s that were not done well, or poorly cared for. Find and drive a good one and you are spoiled for life.

Good Luck
    JR