Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: The Easy Back-Date Solution

FS: The Easy Back-Date Solution

Not the 1st time this would have been done but here's the easy way out for flares and a rust free body. EZ backdate. CHEAP.

No cutting or fender grafting. won't last long at this price.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Turbo-looks not only had flares that are within a couple of millimeters of the 1973 RSR, but they also were built with turbo suspension and brakes. Here is a link to the turbo-look registry page:

http://www.turbo-look.de/2-en.php

My replica was built off of one of these as a donor and I am quite happy with it!
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

I was wondering if anyone would post that ad, killer deal.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

370000 miles ? Been driven... I like your idea though Tom.
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    . . . was wondering if anyone would post that ad . . .
    'The Mart' = PCA website

We Can Be Heroes

We had a back-date car show up at RITV a few years ago. GP White with gold stripes and wheels. I looked at it for few seconds and exclaimed to myself; "you sneaky so and so"! The owner bought it on the cheap and then proceeded to make a very cool car.

Like I said. It's a deal if you want to get in the game and worry less about Barry Bondo and the cake decorating body-shop clowns. (More icing, please!).

It's always been my contention that a rust free car with a blown or tired motor was worth more than one needed a lot of body work.

Shucks. I may need to call this guy after all. Sold myself. :roll eyes:

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I can name a bunch of them, I feel the backdate, and the turbo look cars offer the best bang for the buck. Tom, I tally agree, you start with a galvanized shell, and the ability to drive the thing for at least 3 seasons, sometimes 4, you get a great platform.

Add to the mix some improved safety, improved HVAC, improved creature comforts, I know a bunch of old-school enthusiasts who enjoy their backdated or lightened big bumper cars.

I'd say I'm happy to have one of each, a very raw, rough, fast and nimble early hotrod, and a much more cruising-friendly SC that is developing a lightweight personality of its own.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

But what you REALLY need is a Cadillac CTS-V.

That's cruising (missile) in style!

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

backdating

I built my 'backdate' on a '78 930 roller, wide body (although we re-shaped the fenders), all the right suspension parts and brakes too.
    Although I suspect the day is coming nearer that "I should have kept it original".....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    early s registry #661
    r-gruppe # 604

Quote Originally Posted by bosman View Post
    I built my 'backdate' on a '78 930 roller, wide body (although we re-shaped the fenders), all the right suspension parts and brakes too.
    Although I suspect the day is coming nearer that "I should have kept it original".....
    ONLY if you stop enjoying it....money be damned, you built a gorgeous car, I'm sure it goes pretty good, too....so, why sweat the details about values.....you can't put a price on happiness....drive it.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622