Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Side View Mirror - Fake or genuine.....

Side View Mirror - Fake or genuine.....

Name:  20130222_160522.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  63.2 KBName:  20130222_161049.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  64.2 KBI bought a new side mirror for my '72 from a website based in the US and well known to many on this board. After receiving the part I became suspicious. I contacted them and today they returned my call and claim that this mirror is a factory OEM mirror despite the fact that there is no Porsche part number cast in the underside of the base (which my old mirror had) , the mounting bolts were too long and the tapped holes in the mirror were misaligned....well you get the picture. It was presented to me that these parts are now being supplied to Porsche from the same supplier but they are now being made somewhere far away from Germany...but that its an OEM part, despite the quality issues.

My question is - has anybody bought an OEM side mirror recently and had the same issues or concerns (no visible P/N) am I being snowed here - I have heard of other problems with Porsche OEM parts recently, including fuel pumps so I could use some help here.

Thanks,

Andrew
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.

Without the part number on the base to me it's a repo. I'd send it back unless you don't care.
    72S, 72T now ST

Porsche sells many parts through their classic catalog so it very well may be an OEM Porsche mirror however it may also be far, far different from the mirror that was originally installed on your car in 1972. Hood badges, dash pads and (as you mentioned) fuel pumps are other examples.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...s/neweditions/
    Last edited by nickb4; 02-25-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Nick - thanks for your comments - thats why I am being careful here. I am also aware of other Porsche engine parts which are now being made "elsewhere" and don't necessarily work well either.

Be good to have more comments on the mirror but also to hear from others on their fitment issues with Porsche parts.

How about a photo of the other side with the crimping? And seal..
    H

Harvey - Photo showing seal. Its a harder black plastic seal as opposed to the softer, more muted dark grey-black rubber I was expecting. Name:  20130222_160839.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  60.1 KB

The aftermarket ones that I have seen have a poor crimp job on the mirror and the little black mirror seal is different...Don't remember the base seal.I would go towards a aftermarket because of the "L". The originals came only in the left, so they didn't need the "L"? My aftermarket ones have the L & R.
    H

Anybody else buy a side mirror directly from the dealer recently? Does it look like the one I bought?

Lightbulb

Andrew,

Please supply us a picture of the face of your mirror as Harvey asked. A pic where the edge of the mirror body meets the glass. The repops we've encountered have had a very poor crimp at this intersection. Your picture could tell us a couple of things.
    - Do you have an acceptable looking mirror... (so far your pics show a pretty nice mirror)
    - Do you have the poorly crimped repop we're familiar with.
    - And if so, are 'they' selling the poorly crimped repop as OEM... AND, if so, might 'this' be the only early rectangle mirror you can get now.

We’ll be waiting for your picture…..
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I know that a German made repop has been available for a while now. To me this is like the Orange Bar hood badge. You either track down a NOS or close to it original with the part number on the base or buy a new one from Porsche the will work just fine but is not a original piece.
    72S, 72T now ST