Thread: Tips for getting ready for paint

Tips for getting ready for paint

My car is in need of a repaint. I'm looking for tips as to what I should do. I was planning on glass out but I was wondering, do the front fenders need to come off as well, generally what is the best way to go about it other than taking it done to the tub. I looked for threads but nothing came up.

Thanks.

Front fender have a bad habit of rusting right up where the fenders meet the cowl. I personally would recommend removing them.

check my website. The '73S had only 43,000 milesv and was rusted there. The '77 930 was a" full galvanized " body with 3 owners that lived indoors most of it's life, and it was rusted there. They rust there. The factory did a wonderful job of creating a spot where over time the channels seam sealer would break down, but the innner fenders seam sealer would hold up. This allowed water a way in, and no way out. You do the science
    Last edited by Scotty B; 03-04-2013 at 07:23 PM.
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

I think a lot depends on your budget, the overall condition of the car and what you are trying to achieve. At a minimum, a good quality re-paint requires glass, trim and all seals be removed. If your car has original paint intact in the jambs or in other significant portions of the car, I would think long and hard about repainting these areas, but unseen rust is often the driver of what needs to be done. Much of this can't be seen unless the car is at least moderately disassembled and subjected to a close inspection.

What I'm thinking of right now is doing the dis-assembly my self. I'm going to take out the glass, remove the front and rear bumpers, trim, fenders, and door cards, front hood, and engine hood. Did I miss anything? Doing the above should get me an a above average paint job correct?

If I wanted to get the under body resprayed does that require dropping the motor and tubing it out or can you get around doing that?

Eli, I own a Porsche body shopin North Hollywood, Ca.
    I would be happy to help with any questions you have regarding a respray.
    818 469 1811

John
    John Esposito's Porsche Repair
    Espo
    75 911 SCRS

Take John up on his offer. There is none better!! He is an expert on prepping and painting early 911's.
    1969 911 E #824