Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat Rail Hardware

Seat Rail Hardware

I want to show off the new seat rail hardware my company was able to hunt down and buy. The sockets are the low head with 4mm internal wrench in black finish, the lock rings in black finish that don't protrude past the socket head and the large "fender" washers in yellow. From reading through the forum, we found out that there was only one person providing seat rail hardware kits with the wrong socket type and the wrong lock ring type for $70.00. It didn't make sense to us to buy this incorrect kit or replate old hardware due to it's life cycle. (time limit, torque limit, stress/load limits)

Name:  911.seatrail - Copy.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  52.8 KBName:  911.seatrail.head - Copy.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  26.6 KBName:  911.seatrail.example - Copy.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  25.9 KB

But aren't the correct bolts M6 and with a 5mm hex size?
    Early are black oxide and site wisdom has determined the yellow dichromate finish came about somewhere in 1972.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-chassis/page2
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

DIN states that low head conforms with a 4mm internal wrench. Standard height head conforms to a 5mm internal wrench.

I'm no expert, but the hardware originally on the rails I've seen are low head 5mm hex, not 4mm.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Quote Originally Posted by 914central911 View Post
    DIN states that low head conforms with a 4mm internal wrench. Standard height head conforms to a 5mm internal wrench.
    DIN specs change over the years. It's been around since 1917. Some DIN-spec M8 nuts from the 356 days are 14mm across the flats. But today DIN would tell you that is 13mm.

In any event the internal hex wrenching feature is 5mm. And the finish isn't black zinc, it's silver.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    DIN specs change over the years. It's been around since 1917. Some DIN-spec M8 nuts from the 356 days are 14mm across the flats. But today DIN would tell you that is 13mm.

In any event the internal hex wrenching feature is 5mm. And the finish isn't black zinc, it's silver.
    I have a not-so-sneaking-suspicion that 914central911's posts are a thinly veiled primer for his upcoming "nuts and bolts" For Sale threads...I wait with not-so-bated breath.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Seems to me they are 4mm hex on my '71 (2 bolts/rail at the front) and 5mm on my '74.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

I want to show off the new seat rail hardware my company was able to hunt down and buy. The sockets are the low head with 4mm internal wrench in black finish, the lock rings in black finish that don't protrude past the socket head and the large "fender" washers in yellow. From reading through the forum, we found out that there was only one person providing seat rail hardware kits with the wrong socket type and the wrong lock ring type for $70.00. It didn't make sense to us to buy this incorrect kit or replate old hardware due to it's life cycle. (time limit, torque limit, stress/load limits)

Name:  911.seatrail - Copy.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  52.8 KBName:  911.seatrail.head - Copy.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  26.6 KBName:  911.seatrail.example - Copy.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  25.9 KB
    Those are the bolts that secure the seat rails to the supports. They are the same for 356s from 1960 through 1968 YM cars. I hope you didn't buy too many of them and expect to sell many of them. Those bolts were always clear zink plated and never were anywhere near black. Your's will work but the Authenticity Police will not be amused if you try and say they were "original" and correct. They have a thin head, 4mm hex and M6 threads. The lock washers are black oxide, though.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Black finish apparently is correct for the '69S and some '70S & '71S. Yellow zinc & clear zinc seem to vary by the Year/Trim and the car in question.

If anyone wants to pony up the money to make metric sockets with 5mm internal wrench be my guest. It is expensive.
    Do the judges actually take wrenches or measuring tools to the hardware to check for "authenticity"?

I don't appreciate be called out for sharing pictures and information. It does not cast this forum and its members in a good light.

I don't appreciate be called out for sharing pictures and information. It does not cast this forum and its members in a good light.
    It's my opinion that your first two posts on this forum were less about sharing pictures and information and more about about "showing off [bolts and washers] your company was able to hunt down and buy."

That, to me, smacks of ego and is a thinly veiled attempt to promote products that you will presumably be offering up for sale...a priming of the pump, if you will. For an initial posting it rubbed me the wrong way (and many others, I would surmise) especially when the hardware your touting is readily available to all potential buyers at cents on the dollar through various companies on the interweb.

For a person to come out of nowhere and start throwing out information in this community without so much as a courteous introduction leads me to believe that the person's motives are commercially driven, and my guard immediately goes up.

Many here would probably purchase your wares and/or listen to your schpeal if you put the information out there in a more humble and dare I say less condescending manner. As it stands, people seem more interested in proving you wrong than they are in listening to what you have to say; that, I believe, has a lot to do with your approach and less to do with you as a person or the information you're trying to impart.

Just my opinion, and we all know what those are like.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687