Thread: Adapt Nardi wheel 1965 to early 911

Adapt Nardi wheel 1965 to early 911

I have a nice 400mm Nardi steering wheel that would like to set up in a 1969 911. The problem is that it has the hub built in. I believe it is for a Mercedes, the spline size smaller than for the 911. Is there a way to adapt this wheel to my car?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  114.2 KB
Views: 327
Size:  76.7 KB

The easiest thing is probably to find a hub and adapt it to your wheel. I think classico wheels has made some hubs so they can probably help. The difficult route would be to have a broach made and broach the splines in the existing hub. Hope this helps.

This is another picture of the wheel looking at the back. It looks solid. I don't know where the hub will attach?

Views: 323
Size:  73.6 KB

I think you'll find that the hub is rivetted to the wheel then the heads of the (countersunk ?) rivets are machined flat & polished.

You can see the 6 rivets around the circumference - these will need (carefully) drilling out.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Buy my '69 dated original unrestored Nardi 911/912 wheel and sell yours. It comes withe the original Nardi double mushroom horn/flasher button.

What does it look like Steve? I am also looking at another one.

Merv
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Thanks for all the advice! Lets see...the wheel is really nice. It is thin and a nice big diameter.

My '69 dated Nardi looks like Frankmar's except for the horn button. My Nardi is unrestored with original factory applied varnish which has a mellow honey tone. I bought it from restorer Victor Miles years ago. People that know Victor know his parts are top quality. Nardi made these wheels (dished-they made flat ones for Porsche much earlier in the 50's) specifically for Porsche beginning in the 60's with the 356B which has the same spline as the early 911. The wheels are aftermarket and never appeared in a Porsche accessories catalog but were very popular nonetheless because of their beauty. The Porsche horn button by Nardi was two piece. It looked like a mushroom when viewed from the side. The large outer black plastic ring was for the lights flasher, then a small chrome beauty ring, then the center button which had a stylized Porsche logo. The center was for the horn but of course you could wire it either way. There were small changes over the years. Some had a grey logo background, some black. The only thing marking one for a 356 vs a 911 would be the factory logo and date stamp on the rear of the center spoke. Obviously '69 was produced in the 900 series era but the the horn button remained the same as for the 356 era all through the production run. These wheels are totally interchangeable 911/356. I have only seen one other car make double mushroom Nardi button on an Alfa Romeo spider veloce. So they did make them for other cars but I think they were/are extremely popular with Porsche pushers both now and BITD.

Very interesting stuff Steve. Just sent you a PM
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S