Thread: Replacing SWB taillight and indicator lenses?

Replacing SWB taillight and indicator lenses?

Hello,

did anyone document the restauration of SWB taillight and indicator housings with pictures?

we are going to replace the broken lenses with new ones and don't want to mess things up

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
    Johan

Johan -- you should be able to find info by doing a search on this site, but in general, the lens come with tabs that need to be melted in place to secure the lens to the housing. So begin by using an awl or other object to "break" the original plastic tabs to remove the original lens. When fitting the replacement lens you'll need to do some dry fitting and file tabs as needed so the all tabs of the lens fit into their respective slots in the housing and you get a good lens-housing fit. In the end you may need to use a thin bead of clear silicone.

With the lens installed in the housing, turn it over (on a towel), and apply downward pressure. I use a large soldering iron to "melt" and spread the tabs in place to provide the holding power, starting in the center and work outward,. Be sure to take care of any issues inside the housing before you mount.

The replacement lens I've seen are not really accurate representations of the original. There is someone on this site, however, that I understand offers better. Again, learn to use the search function.

Good luck
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Hi Johan,
    Here you can learn how to improve your search: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...265#post632265

Let us know it you are not able to find what are looking for.

What lenses, US or Euro??? The ones offered by Marek are excellent. I will find the thread for you if you you can´t find it.

Regards, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Hi, Thanks, I know the search function, and I found a lot of threads, but not a single one that has pictures in it.

I know it's pretty straightforward, but the person I'm doing the search for wants pictures and is a little bit afraid
    to begin at the job.

Kind Regards,
    Johan

Johan,
    kijk hier even (check this)
    http://www.cpponderdelen.nl/c-162914...chtglas-65-68/
    - twinplugged - 1975 targa former Dutch police car

Net wat we zochten, hopelijk heeft hij nu geen schrik meer om eraan te beginnen !

(In short: Just what we were looking for!)