Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is the "container for bleeding" serviceable

is the "container for bleeding" serviceable

I was checking out the fuel system components on a parts diagram (pelican parts) and I came across part number 901.201.062.22 "container for bleeding". I think it is the plastic tank that is mounted up in the front drivers fender above the horns? If so, this baby 40 years old! I assume it acts like a vent to the gas tank as there is expansion. Does that mean it fills with gas or just gas vapors? I thought the vapors went to the black charcoal box located near the driver side battery. So, it's education time!

Does anyone know what the "container for bleeding" does and if it should be cleaned out/replaced after 40 years of use?

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

The fender tank 'collects' the vapors and then sends them to the charcoal cannister and from there the vapors are drawn into the back of the aircleaner.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed. So, it seems no servicing is required.
    John

RGruppe member 445

Generaly it is a very low maintenance system, but should be checked on occasion.
    The tank in the front left fender will get fuel in it through the bottom hose at times when the tank is near full. It will then evaporate out through the upper hose that connects to the charcoal cannister. It would not hurt to remove the plastic tank and check to see if it is brittle or cracked, as well as replacing any lines that are worn and cracked. My original tank was shot when I bought the car, and the hoses brittle. I was able to find a good used one, flushed it out and replaced all the hoses. You definitely want to maintain this system to keep the gas fumes in check and to vent the gas tank to prevent fuel starvation.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Thanks Esully. This was my thinking.
    John

RGruppe member 445

The RS does not have the plastic tank in the drivers fender. I looked at the "container for bleeding", ans saw the dreadful "rubber band" that holds it up.

Does anyone know what, if anything is inside the container or how it vents. This item is in a tough spot in that some of the ventilation system needs to come to do work in this area. In addtion, that "rubber band" looks real old and I would rather not touch it or the container. I may need to though and if I could figure out what is inside it would help me determine if I need to go further.
    John

RGruppe member 445

It's an expansion chamber, nothing inside.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Is there a seal where it meets the cowl?
    John

RGruppe member 445

denson

Here is a schematic that that might help.

Name:  73 911S Emission fuel vapor recovery.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  45.8 KB

FYI, I just went though all the hoses, lines etc of this system on my '73S.

Even though it is "another system" of the car, catching the hydrocarbon emissions in the form of returned fuel seems a benign non-performance robbing pollution control. Here in California, in certain populated areas, all gasoline dispensing nozzles have secondary collars to catch the hydrocarbon fumes. They are that significant.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Thaks very much for the schematic Haasman. My car does not have the charcoal cannister and I wonder if that is contributing to the light gas smell. After buying a new plastic tank, I started looking at this more deeply and think there are several other things I need to look out or repair while the tank is being replaced. I am trying to locate the clear plastic lines that are used to vent the container as I think this is a good starting point.
    John

RGruppe member 445