Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about '70 sporto

Thoughts about '70 sporto

Anyone who chks e-bay has seen Scmitt's '70E sporto hanging around for about a year.
    Any comments on the desirability of the sportomatic as both investment and driver, esp. its worth being an E--which seem far and few between for 40Kplus.
    Thanks for some guidance--moving from 912s up to 11s.

I think that car is the very best example we have of how a sportomatic devalues a car. If that car was a 5-speed it would sell the same day (probably to me).

Well, that it's at Daniel Schmitt is reason for pause, not that it's a Sporto.

Listed one year ago on the Samba, sold on eBay for $25,322.

Post #186: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post563221
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Really? Those days are gone
    ???? No idea what that means but I'm shopping for an E and I've seen multiple cars, not as nice as that car but without the sportomatic, sell for higher prices over the last 60 days. A 5-speed E in that condition (even a Targa) for that price would be a very hot item. If you know of any out there, I'll take two please!

May I recommend driving a well set up example.

Raj
    A sportomatic? I used to own two well set up examples. I actually thought they were fun to drive. Except for the fact that it was a very bad idea to rest your hand on the gear knob.

My personal opinion is irrelevant to the conversation at hand, however. Whether you like the transmission, or you don't, the fact that it's an oddball, hard to find parts for, and hard to get serviced, depresses the prices on sportomatic cars significantly. There's no question.

Lending to the future for sport's-- the brand new 991 GT3 is now a current version of the Sporto. Called something like a Triptronic or PDK . Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Back to Schmitt's '70E sporto-

Yes--The 911 elite have always held their nose at the sporto, but I test drove one and though it was a leaker, it was a savage little beast.
    I still wonder why w/ a 45K is it over-priced or well priced? Why hasn't sold? Bad dealer rep? It seems very well sorted. And Schmitt seems to care less if he lets it go...another oddity.

I think a substantial portion of the market at $40K plus is trying to figure out investment potential. I think Sportos have investors confused.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    I think a substantial portion of the market at $40K plus is trying to figure out investment potential. I think Sportos have investors confused.
    Investors aren't confused; they know what they want and don't want.
    Raj and the faithful few will never be convinced that Sportos are boring.

no assumptions on any car,one has to do their own due diligence.It maybe a great car.
    I've seen the car. Very nice. And they'll deal on it.

Just hard to sell a sportomatic, sadly.