Thread: Color Code 716

Color Code 716

I'm restoring 65 911 #300329. It has an original factory tag with paint code 716, a number Porsche normally wouldn't have used. I have the COA and a copy of the Cardex which both list the car as light ivory, with no color code. I've taken the car to bare metal, there's no indication that it was ever light ivory. The color under the brown respray and above the primer is a caramel color, between Bahama Yellow and Togo Brown. The code doesn't line up with a Glasurit color used by any manufacturer during that time period per their website. I attended a presentation by John Paterak at Tech Tactics a few weeks back. John's restoring 65 911 #300331. It has a paint code of 676 that the cardex lists as "brown".

Carl Bauer / Orange Bar has suggested that it's possible that the three digit paint codes are a Reutter number. "Officially there were no Reutter numbers after 1963 (Porsche bought Reutter) BUT I have a picture of a few sheets sent to Porsche of America distributors regarding mixing colors for body work. There are all the normal color codes and then there is a column titled 'Former Order #' all the way on the left hand side. Of other pages visible that I have the 'Former Order #' matches with the corresponding Reutter number." "The Reutter column for a color after 1963 may be blank or NA but it's worth a look."

This link takes you to the main page in the Porsche / Reutter book, the page with the light ivory heading and finally a page where you can see the left hand column. It looks like whoever was stamping the tags the day they did #300329 and #300331 grabbed the three digit number from the wrong column. Does anyone out there have a better shot of these pages? What color does Reutter code 716 line up with? I'd appreciate any help anyone's able to provide.

http://imgur.com/a/cfOGc

Raj originally posted the pictures of the PoA paint mixing ratio pages linked above. Can we get him to post a good photo of the page with 6404 light ivory on it? Any info from a page containing a 'former order #' of 716 would be VERY helpful to Red Car.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Are there any datapoints for this in the 356 community?......remembering the 356/901 were made concurrently during this period and whatever was '716' was likely so in the days of the 356 production runs.

http://www.porsche356registry.org/356talk.html
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

@aircooledph on Instagram jaldeguer's Avatar
    I had the same issue with my '66 911. My color code has 17616 written on it. After years of research and dead ends I was able to finally obtain its Kardex and it just said "gelb" (yellow) which was not offered as a standard or special color in 1966. I found traces of yellow in the sunroof area which confirmed what was written in the Kardex.

This car was a special order car exported to Bahrain (PO says for the royal family) which came with a number of options.

Ive read somewhere that sometimes they use the color code area to stamp a special order code or simply a color to match code. But I cannot say this for certain. Good luck on your research.

Jay

Can someone who knows Raj ask him to please contact Mark (Red Car)? I'm pretty sure that those PoA sheets which Raj posted will really help him on his search to get the right color on his '65.

The formula pages were originally posted here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...paint-formulas
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

These are the Reutter codes in my file:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Dragging out this old thread again since info on 300330 has just surfaced.
    300329 716 light ivory Kunstleder Schwarz
    300330 711 braun Skaiflor teak/Pepita
    300331 676
    So the 3 digit codes must be for some special colors. 330 was a Presse car and very special interior. These cars were completed well after (6 weeks or more) contemporary VINs.
    I am going to have to dig deeper to see what other cars belong to this group. All assistance appreciated. Mark, if you read this, please contact me again.

That is helpful, thanks.

The really weird colors started with 9. This one was Havana Brown, a color primarily used by Mercedes and Lambretta, but rarely Porsche.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

I sold 300329 several years ago to a restoration shop in Germany. They did amazing work saving her. The original, custom color was saved on the inside door panels. They used it to paint the car. The comments on press cars and the delays between construction and final delivery make sense. This one was shipped well after others with similar VINs. Here’s a link to the shop. http://neimann-exclusive-cars.de/res...30ps3003291965 It’s posted in their restoration gallery.