Thread: 911 T Brake Performance ??

911 T Brake Performance ??

Hello,
    I was hoping to get some advice. I have a 71 T with almost all new braking components. Disks, lines, master cylinder, pads, are all new. Calipers are in good working order, but have not been rebuilt in a few years. The car has a good hard pedal, no shuttering or pulling what so ever, it just doesn't stop very well. There is no bite when you apply the brakes, even when hard on the pedal. It stops resonably well, but no bite. It feels as though you couldn't lock the brakes if you wanted to. I am very used to A, S, and Turbo brakes, perhaps this is as good as M systems get? The pads are Mintex, which I'm not crazy about. Can anyone recommend a pad that has real bite? Is there a caliper upgrade for 3" spacing, perhaps a 4 piston system? Any advice would be appreciated....Thanks
    1969 911 E #824

You will hear a lot of opinions. Having raced on near-street pads with the M caliper, I can assure you they work just fine even if they won't let you flat-spot a tire. When I finally changed to the A caliper, I did it because the heavier rotor and bigger pads dissipate heat a lot better, preventing rotor warpage and fade. (The late Carrera uses the A pad and wider rotor/caliper and requires a strut change to accommodate the different bolt spacing.) Only when I then moved from the near-street Ferodo 2500's I've used forever to a Raybestos race pad did I get that real bite you are seeking. I also got awful squeaking when cold.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

The pads or rotors or both could be glazed. I reality, the M & S or A brakes are very similar; only the front pads are a little larger in area. Piston sizes are all the same.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I'm running standard repco/pbr pads (not metal master) on my T and S and have no complaints about the bite.

Per Dave's point, the pads on my 914 were glazed/old and had no bite. New pads and good bedding-in took care of it.
    Last edited by M_deJong; 03-20-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Thanks. The pads and rotors are new so no glazing is present, and yes they are bedded in already. I have also done a thorough bleeding. The pedal is very stiff and provides good feel. It sounds like the pads are the suspect here. I will try a much more aggressive set. I heard the ferrodo 2500, any other suggestions? Prefer to minimize squeal, so probably not a full race pad.
    1969 911 E #824

Speaking of brakes. Performance Friction Brakes has a glossary of brake terms that they’re making available to Vintage Motorsports readers. They’ve been making this technical paper available when they do brake seminars at various tracks around the country. All you have to do is give them your email and mention Vintage Motorsports magazine. They’ll make sure you get a copy. Email Performance Friction Brakes at ltaylor@performancefriction.com.

I've been running Pagid street pads (black pad/blue box) for the last few years with very good results.... Textar street pads are a close second...

However, I feel there might be another problem, it just doesn't sound right that your pads alone would cause this....

Good luck,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I guess all things are relative. I'd first suggest that I've never remotely thought my 73 T brakes were anything less than stellar. But, I don't know that I'd ever say "bite." Grab and haul down maybe. Sometimes you need that modulation on the brakes, especially in a pack in a race. I've noticed that on my Boxster S, trying to heal toe is quite a challenge with the bite ability of the brakes. But on my 911, it's a breeze. I have full control of the brakes and still able to blip the gas without jabbing the brakes. So, if you are not hauling down in speed, I'd say there is something wrong. If you are just not experiencing a quick jab or bite on the brakes, I'd say it may be just fine.