Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filter leak

Fuel filter leak

Checked all of the hose clamps for tight, filter and hoses are about a year old. Fuel appears to be leaking where the canister's gasket meets it's mating surface. Removed the filter, cleaned the gasket, and it appears to be smooth and intact. Remounted the filter, tightened it, and reconnected the hoses and tightened all clamps. Still leaks.

Solution?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Frank,

If the gasket is hard and cracked, as far as I know you can not get the fuel filter gaskets by themselves (I save a number of my old filters just for the gaskets)

If the gasket looks serviceable, dry it off, put some light oil (or bicycle grease) on the mating surface of the gasket and screw it back on and see if it helps.....
    We always put a little some'n on before we screw on a new one....

Hope this helps....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck. Just tried that and it still leaks. Guess I'll get a new filter, install it, and see if it stops leaking. Doubt any of the local parts stores stock them. The timing of this little problem sucks as I was really looking forward to tomorrow's all euro sports car show here in Jupiter. If it winds up being the filter gasket, looks like I'll have to make sure to always have a fresh one on hand as backup just in case.
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 03-29-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

You can get them again now from Porsche.
    72S, 72T now ST

Just installed a new filter....and voila...no leaks.

Does anyone know what would have caused the white/gray hard deposits I found on the mating surface of the old filters gasket? The metal surface where the filters gasket mates up to was also rough in texture. Before installing the new filter I sanded that suface with 1000 grit to get a nice clean and smooth surface. The resulting dust was a dark gray color. Before installing the new filter I applied a light coat of 3 in 1 oil to both mating surfaces.

Someone told me that the rough white/gray textured deposits were caused by water in the fuel.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 04-02-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

Best guess is corrosion due to water in fuel and your high humidity climate. When I came back from the Tampa Parade I had plated parts all over my car that corroded in the week I was there. It was quite a system shock for a poor ol Ft Worth car
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

And the only fuel available here is ethanol. Should I be using a fuel additive to reduce the ill effects of ethanol? If so, which product?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

There is product put out by the Sta-Bil folks just for that purpose, it is grey in color, I use it, but not as religiously as I should.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by FL-Frank View Post
    . . . Fuel appears to be leaking where the canister's gasket meets it's mating surface. Removed the filter, cleaned the gasket, and it appears to be smooth and intact. Remounted the filter, tightened it, and reconnected the hoses and tightened all clamps. Still leaks . . . Solution? . . .
    Went through this Exact Same Deal a coupla years ago . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ty-nine/page17

Have no idea what the root-cause was

What threw me off was how --- in my situation . . . things went from zero to EXXON Valdez like --- in an instant. Gas frickin' everywhere! (I still put my hands on that filter -- checking for any signs of leaking)

And everybody has a proper fire extinguisher in their car --- RIGHT?

We Can Be Heroes

Now that the fuel leak has been corrected, and I installed new MFI thermostat hoses and clamped them correctly, I'm experiencing hard to start conditions whether or not the engine is warm.

The cold start up procedure I've always used is......turn the key to start the fuel pump........depress the gas pedal about half way........pull the hand throttle all the way up while releasing the pedal........and turn the key to start. She's always cranked and fired up right away. Now, it cranks for about 3-4 seconds before firing, and it initially sounds and feels like it wants to die until I give it more fuel.

My warm start up procedure has always been turn the key, give it some gas, and it would fire right up. Now, it cranks for 3-4 seconds before firing, and sounds/feels like it wants to die until I give it more fuel.

Suggestions/Recommendations?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921