Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the value of SWB 911 engine and transmission?

What is the value of SWB 911 engine and transmission?

I am thinking about selling an engine and transmission out of a 1965 911 to a friend of a friend who owns a shop in Germany, and I was wonder what a good asking pricing would be. When the engine was running 30 years ago, the only issue was a oil leak in the dry sump system. After siting for so long the engine is seized up, and I have been soaking it in penetrating oil the past few weeks. I am aware that it is sacrilegious to separate the engine from a numbers matching car however, there are no longer any remaining VIN stamps on the chassis due to severe rust. The only VIN number that remains is the aluminum plate that use to be located under the front hood.

I would prefer to sale everything together in one lot this would include everything listed in the following pictures
    -complete engine(block, cylinders, heads, etc. )
    -Solex carburetors
    -5 speed transmission
    -plastic/fiberglass engine shroud
    -air intake/cleaner

Numbers
    Chassis Vin - 301981
    Engine Number (Stamped below fan on right side of engine) 902190
    Crankcase part #? -901.101.102.01
    Head part#? 901.105.111.03

Any metal parts exposed to the outside are not in the best of condition. However all the internals and aluminum bits appear to be in usable shape. Is $10,000 a fair asking price for this type of engine in this shape? Or is it worth considerably more or less.

Also, If the buyer that I am speaking with is not interested or willing to pay what the engine is worth, I will post the items listed above for sale on Ebay. Please do not send me messages offering to buy the engine while asking how much I want for it. Thank You, I look forward to your input.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  127.2 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  200.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  191.0 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  185.7 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  151.1 KB

I will upload more pictures in the following posts

These are always dangerous questions as there my be "players" lurking who may, frankly, have ulterior motives in their responses. One could even be me but not in this case.
    I'd say $10,000 is WAY high for what you have. Thanks.

I have to disagree w/ Allen

$10K for this lot works if for instance the German shop builds 911 race cars and pending the rest of the pictures.

Even better if you still have the title, than this lot could be worth as much as $20-$25K.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    I have to disagree w/ Allen

$10K for this lot works if for instance the German shop builds 911 race cars and pending the rest of the pictures.

Even better if you still have the title, than this lot could be worth as much as $20-$25K.

Richard
    Any motor/trans that requires you to cut the axles in half in order to remove it from the car is likely to have a fair amount of water contamination.

There's also the puddle of water in the exhaust port.

Buyer beVERYware.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 04-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    These are always dangerous questions as there my be "players" lurking who may, frankly, have ulterior motives in their responses. One could even be me but not in this case.
    I'd say $10,000 is WAY high for what you have. Thanks.
    Agree. This motor seems to need $10k in resto costs to do it right.....cosmetic and mechanical. Seized? Rusted? Corroded? I'm thinking $5k. I recently bought a '67S motor carbs to clutch (and correct) for $5700.00. Yes it needs a rebuild, but a much prettier starting point, and, it's an S.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Any motor/trans that requires you to cut the axles in half in order to remove it from the car is likely to have a fair amount of water contamination.

There's also the puddle of water in the exhaust port.

Buyer beVERYware.
    That is not water but penetrating oil.

I am into the 65/66 911 since 2000 coming out of the 356 world, and the market and prices are showing a similar pattern only the pace of 911 prices have developed much quicker.

If you want to build a 65 eligible FIA race car you need the alu engine, solex, 901 transmission and VIN. The rest you can use of a donor 912.

Just my $.02

Richard

I'm thinking that a $10K rebuild is an underestimation (by a lot). Figure $3-5K on the trans, another $2K on the solexes.... split the case, redo the top end, probably replace the P&C....$€ŁĄ!
    As Marco pointed out, the exterior is in ROUGH shape. W/O documenting the condition of the guts and going by the amount of rust on the exterior, I'm thinking you may be in the sub-$5K range for value.
    The more you can state about condition of everything, the more (or less) its going to be worth.

Nice find though and good luck.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

As per my experience a good rebuild will be much more expensive - at least double the amount ...

And it's 'only' a 2.0 engine.

Anyone not caring about matching numbers and building himself a hot rod or something, probably is looking for more than the 2.0...

And as matching numbers is not the issue here, gear boxes are pretty plenty.
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    That is not water but penetrating oil.
    Maybe so, but it's rusty brown which gives me pause.

Again, please note the axles had to be cut to remove the drivetrain from the car. The last time I saw that was when the car had been returned to the Earth. Unpleasant stuff when you're trying to disassemble the motor and you have to auger a hole in the top of the piston to unbolt the connecting rod from the crankshaft because the piston/cylinder have become one.

$10,000 is a dream. $5,000 is closer but I still wouldn't touch it. From where I'm sitting you're buying a case...nothing else an be considered usable based on current condition.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687