Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25,000+ Period Racing Photos

25,000+ Period Racing Photos

From the Benson Ford Research Center. 1959-1972.

Many more Freidman pics here. Some are the same as the Flickr photos, many are from different events:

Browsing the 1972 Can-Am brings back the memories -- I was at the Laguna event two weeks before. John Wyer and Mike Parkes weren't in Monerey. Dave Friedman was a really terrific photographer.

Chuck, what can you tell us about this shot from that weekend?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nine17; 04-07-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Spectacular! Thanks Curt!
    _
    “Simplify and add lightness” Colin Chapman

ex-1988 Carrera, ex-1991 Turbo, ex-1992 968, ex-1990 Carrera 2, ex-1997 Carrera 4

Thumbs up

Chuck, what can you tell us about this shot from that weekend?
    Whoa..........
    Well, that was the 2.5 TransAm car I crewed for the two 'local' races in 1972.... and pretty much the end of the late Charlie Thieriot's, and that GTA's TransAm career.

The race before was Laguna Seca (the pictures I posted before) where Charlie crashed the car in the Sat. practice. We worked all night to get it ready for the Sunday race where he finished 12th. Two weeks later, on Oct. 28, we were at Riverside Raceway for the last race of the season. Charlie said that a breather hose come off of the top of the trans and spewed gear oil on the floor, when he went for the brakes for turn 6 his foot slipped off the pedal and he hit HARD!!!!

The hand lettering (Thieriot Racing) on the rear quarters was done by me...
    The funny thing is that Santo and Anthony Rimicci (of Santo's Alfa Repair) has kept that very rear quarter I lettered all those years ago...when they showed it to me I couldn't believe my eyes....
    They also own and race Charlie's old right hand 'street GTA' and painted the quarters the same way in tribute to Charlie........

......... and so it goes
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-08-2013 at 05:37 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

There's some real good stuff if you dig hard, particularly at the 'Artehouse' site - although it's very difficult to navigate around. I found an entire series of photos inside Penske HQ showing the IROC cars being prepped, Donohue's office, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    The hand lettering (Thieriot Racing) on the rear quarters was done by me...
    The funny thing is that Santo and Anthony Rimicci (of Santo's Alfa Repair) has kept that very rear quarter I lettered all those years ago...when they showed it to me I couldn't believe my eyes....
    They also own and race Charlie's old right hand 'street GTA' and painted the quarters the same way in tribute to Charlie........

......... and so it goes
    I didn't have a chance to post when I read this -- that GTA rear clip is just such a time-traveller. So cool. I can remember doodling a tri-colore GTA on my Pee-Chee folder after the Laguna race weekend.

Funny, but back then I aspired to a GTV cloned into a GTA -- because I figured that there was NO WAY that I could ever afford a Porsche 911. Now I've got a budget 911 with a good parts supply and an excellent wrench looking after it, and as for a GTA (or even a GTA clone)... As the New Jersey-ites say: Fuh-geddaboudit.

--David