Thread: iPod unable to charge via lighter

iPod unable to charge via lighter

Does anyone else have a problem charging their iPod via the cigarette lighter?

The charger does not pop out due to the diameter...it is alway on, it has a light to confirm

The charger will charge my iPhone..I swapped out the charger AND cable with the iPhone and iPod..ONLY the iPhone charges.

At the Apple store today, the sales person stated that the car may not be putting out enough volts to charge the iPod. Can this be true? The iPhone uses less to charge.

The alternator is the Dave Aase purchased, Australian built, Bosh alternator..No problem with any of the electrics..A/C, lights, wipers, heated seats, etc. etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

I have the same problem on my Dodge Dakota (2001). My iPhone gets hot and rarely ever completely charges to 100%.Actually, it looses charge or barely keeps up!....I have better luck if I charge it with the car sitting for a few hours?.....Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.

It may not be your car, but your adapter. Take a look for a 2A charger. You may be using a 1A.

Check out:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Dual-...sb+car+charger

If you start reading through the reviews, different chargers work better with different devices. YMMV.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by setho View Post
    It may not be your car, but your adapter. Take a look for a 2A charger. You may be using a 1A.

Check out:

If you start reading through the reviews, different chargers work better with different devices. YMMV.

Seth
    +1. Your car is fine. You just need the 2 amp USB charger.
    1966 911 coupe, Granite Green

Quote Originally Posted by setho View Post

Check out:

Seth
    Seth and 66DC, THANK you for the advice. You were correct.

I went to the Apple store and the Genius Bar tech explained that the iPod does require more power to charge than the iPhone. He did NOT know if the 1A charger was the issue or the car itself. You guys did.
    I went to the local Radio Shack and purchased the 2A charger and a higher quality charging cord. I can now charge the iPod and iPhone at the same time.

I also ordered from Amazon the 2A charger to stay in the Targa. I always forget to swap out stuff...

Thanks again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI