Thread: 1965 correct headlights?

1965 correct headlights?

I'm sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm going crazy. I've been searching the last couple hours trying to find what I need and whats right. The car I'm working on has two different bases and both have the halogen bulbs. Is the clear lense correct or the patterned lense?

The new H4 assemblies are an easy way out but surely frowned upon by the experts?

The H1 and H4 does that mean the bulb setup or does it mean the entire bucket is different? I'am surely sorry for such a basic question.

Thank You for any leads. Brad

This should give you enough reference points:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...and-conversion
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thank You!

I'm not sure why my searches never brought these threads up. There is a lot of reading but the info is there.

The "correct" headlights are determined by what country or part of the world the car was delivered to. To what country do you want to the car to conform?

Regards

Jim
    No, I wasn't an English major

I'm building a US car.

Brad you have three options:

H1, with the rounded top and fluted glass - rather than the water fall. Not DOT correct for the time but very good looking. Superior lighting.

H4 again with the period rounded top fluted glass. Not DOT back in the day but still it's a good look and a quality light.

Sealed beam with the clear cover/lens SB19-SB20-SB21, that lens cover is in the order of rarity is: Lettering on the outside of the lens, Lettering on the inside of the lens, or the - no lettering. If your going to race the car go with the expendable glass... (been there did that). You can get the Halogen sealed beam bulbs such as Sylvania's for good lighting at a low price. The current offering of 9004 has the two elements of 65/45w, 9007 is brighter at 65/55w or the 9008 (H13) 65/55w (I haven't tried those yet - if some one has, how do they work? )
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

I strongly recommend the Hella Vision street-legal H4 behind clear glass for an SWB. It uses an HB2 bulb, which was introduced as the H4 in 1971 and FINALLY legalized in the USA in 1992.

Bob-- would you rather see a used clear glass with the bumps on the outside and some pitting from use, or a pristine repro with the bumps on the back? I struggle with this as I have both.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

John, I would go for the lettering on the outside, but I've been known to like original things.

If it was to be judged nationally, pristine is a priority. Isn't there a minor points loss for replacement parts, and only if the judge knows the difference. (shhhh did I just say that...no offense intended....)
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Confirmation Eric, what I have referred to as the "rounded top" is what I believe you are calling the slanted, I think they are one in the same. Correct me if I'm wrong. We are talking about the lens shape as on this red car. The "B" profile in the photo.

The other style you have called the ledge top, I've used the term "waterfall" profile to describe that lens. The "A" profile in the photo.
    (If I'm off base let me know).

Have a super time in Essen...I'm hearing it is better than ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370