Thread: FS: HELLA 115 NOS TTG fog lights

FS: HELLA 115 NOS TTG fog lights

Well-lighted folks,

Last set of above the bumper NOS amber fog lights, tungsten bulb. Porsche OEM for early 911. $695 shipped in U.S. and $725 shipped outside of U.S. Please email any questions. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 04-10-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Dear Allen,

Can you tell me what is the difference between 118 and 115 TTG fog lights? What would be correct for my 1970 911?

Best regards,

Arend

Quote Originally Posted by agjaalbers View Post
    Dear Allen,

Can you tell me what is the difference between 118 and 115 TTG fog lights? What would be correct for my 1970 911?

Best regards,

Arend
    I've been asked a couple questions about this (there is tons of info. on this board) but I'll do my best to briefly point out the key differences. Others feel free to add to my "sales info."

Hella 115s, so-called, are the first part of the model number for OEM tungsten bulb fog lights. The 115 is an appo. 115mm measurement of the exposed lens diameter. The housings for 115s and 118s are the same size. 115s have a slightly wider bezel, making the exposed lens 115mm as mentioned. These fog lights can be clear or amber (yellow) which is determined by the color of the reflector (not the lens) The color was often determined by the applicable laws in various countries around the globe.

Hella 118s are OEM lights of the same overall housing size as 115s and use a halogen bulb (there are two styles of bulbs/reflectors internal to these lights) 118s can be either driving or fog lights and can have a clear or fluted lens. As fog lights, with a fluted lens they are also available in amber. The most "correct" OEM Porsche "factory" 118s had an extra rivet on the back of the lights, so-called "5 rivet" lights for a grounding wire on the inside of the light's housing attached to the 5th rivet. 118s have a thinner bezel so that about 118mm of the lens is exposed.

In the pecking order of Hella lights, 115s are rare but generally the least costly. At the top of the pecking order are "5 rivet Driving lights. Like all NOS lights, these are not only rare but ultra rare and can sell in the range of $2,000. Thanks.

-Allen-

PS..and this really is, kinda of, part of the sales pitch: Guys really ! These NOS lights are getting HARD TO GET. I've been selling nice vintage parts over the last several years. Nice parts, especially are getting harder and harder to find. I used to sell a lot of "RS" (380mm) steering wheels, all redone. Recently I saw one for sale with a HUGE price that needed redoing. I don't know what it sold for but it was sold. NOS lights like nice 914 steering wheels are getting hard to find...Just saying.
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 04-12-2013 at 07:52 AM.

THe Market for Hella above the bumper TTG lights.

OK, so for example here are some 118 "euro" fogs/fluted lenses. Not mine ! The lights look OK but are not NOS. The grills and brackets, you do the math. Now these haven't sold so this is just "FYI"
    Thanks.
    -Allen-
    Also note, not "5 rivet"

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    OK, so for example here are some 118 "euro" fogs/fluted lenses. Not mine ! The lights look OK but are not NOS. The grills and brackets, you do the math. Now these haven't sold so this is just "FYI"
    Thanks.
    -Allen-
    Also note, not "5 rivet"
    And not 118s which is why they are not five rivet........Those are TN4s, same bezel and lense diameter as the TN1/2 and your 115s. No such thing as a five rivet TN4.

Allen, as a very minor correction... The fifth rivet on the 118 is an isolator for the hot lead, not the ground. The ground wire is crimped to one of the base rivets like the aftermarket versions. This is only for the H3 118s AFAIK. I've never seen a five rivet H1 which makes sense as the H1 bulb does not have a lead wire that would rattle around in the case.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Hi Michael,

I was hoping you would chime in.

Regarding the "wow" guy's lights for sale, I wondered about that and couldn't tell OMG, they are 115s ta' boot !

THanks.

-Allen-

More on 115s and 118s

Regarding 115s and 118s, I honestly do believe that the 115 reference to me, at least, is a relatively new distinction. From my perspective at least, not too long ago ALL of Hella lights of this size case were called "118s." Recently I was corrected that the lights I had for sale were 115s and after researching this and looking, in fact, at my NOS boxes of both kind of lights did I realize the wider bezel, less exposed lens lights were properly referred to has 115s. Live and learn, I like that.

As for the lights the "wow" guy has for sale as "118s"....well I think he knows better! Oh look below, he does !Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 04-12-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Sold to a knowledgable list member. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 04-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.