Thread: Removing glue from 46 year-old vinyl

Removing glue from 46 year-old vinyl

Hi

I am trying to clean up the rear deck vinyl in my '66 coupe. There is the all-too-clear evidence of a PO's installation of a central speaker using some kind of glue or adhesive strip. The glue is very dry and very hard - some has chipped off when I use my finger nails, but most will not shift.

Does anyone have any ideas of a solvent that would soften the glue and enable me to ease it off without damaging the vinyl?

Also, other than the usual vinyl cleaners, what products can you recommend to clean the vinyl to bring it back to good condition?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Stephen
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

3m makes a glue remover which comes in a metal red and white container. I have never damaged rubber or vinyl while using it to remove glue.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

+1, fantastic stuff. If possible see if you can get some of the older series stuff through e-bay or surplus stores. The new formula is not as nice as the old one.

I am glad you mentioned the formula issue. I was not aware they changed it, and the new container I received a month ago "seemed different". I thought it was me!

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    +1, fantastic stuff. If possible see if you can get some of the older series stuff through e-bay or surplus stores. The new formula is not as nice as the old one.
    I've witnessed the same with paint stripper. It's an EPA thing I think.

I use to thin contact glue (the yellow stuff) with toluene, so that may get it off. I'd try some on a piece of scrap vinyl to make sure there's no unwanted reaction first though.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

You may want to try naphtha. From home depot or similar. It will disolve the glue if conact cement or similar and shouldn't attack the material. Also known as lighter fluid.