Thread: Helmuth Bott's Porsche 959

Helmuth Bott's Porsche 959

Thought some of you might find this video interesting...

http://www.egarage.com/videos/helmut...s-porsche-959/

... and share some additional info or stories about these special prototypes.

BR,
    John

Thanks John.... very cool
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Very cool. I have a 959 book signed and numbered by Bott that was given to one's who ordered 959s. Great era for the 911.
    Jack Griffin
    Dallas, Tx.
    Early 911S #167
    RGruppe #192

'55 356 s/r Outlaw
    '70 914-6 (2.5L owned since '76)
    '85 911 Carrera Cpe.
    '89 911 Speedster (bought new)
    '84 MB 300CD (bought new)
    Gone but great memories - '74 RSR 9114609113

member #1515
    A VERY under appreciated car. They set the stage for all new technologies at Porsche from 87 on.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

A great video! Thanks. Dick
    '67 911R recreation
    '73 Heuer RSR project
    '76 3.0L Turbo Martini
    '92 964RS
    '07 997GT3RS

R Gruppe #579

Hi John,

Thanks for posting the link to this cool video. I didn't realise you guys had this car in the Brumo's collection.

I can share a few interesting photos and stories to this. The original owners (B and W White) of my '71S became very close friends with Helmuth and Doris Bott. Bob W was an engineering prof at the Univ. of IL. During his career he would often work at Porsche (mostly Weissach) on special projects during his sabaticals. They ordered the '71, to be delivered at the Factory in Jan. '71. He presented a technical paper to the engineering staff the day he picked up the car. At that presentation he met Helmuth and thus began a lifelong friendship.

Here are several photos Bob scanned (sorry they are so small) and sent me over the years. Here is Bob's description of the lower left photo, "a picture from 1989 of me with Luis Ruf and Helmuth Bott. We spent most of the day driving some of Luis' cars including the Yellow Bird CTR in the picture. Luis sold 30 some and claimed 475 Hp. It set the world record for a production in 1987 at 211 mph. The problem is you can not make 211 mph. on 475 Hp. so I asked Luis and he said " well I don't like to get into Hp. claims with other people but he showed me the dyno test results for the engines and they were 529 Hp. !!!"

The caption for the second series of photos, "Helmuth with his 959 and his 1927 M-B Diesel taxi. Posing with his 959 before going for drive. I had driven over in a RUF BTR and we went for a couple of hour test drive changing back and forth. I started out driving the 959."

The last photos shows his study in their summer home. In the case are wind tunnel models of a few cars you might recognize.

Oh John, the next time you are walking by the 959, pop off the center caps and toss them in the glove box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

That display of wind tunnel models is incredible! Not to mention the ... umm ... dining room stools.