Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem removing roll pin on pedal assembly

problem removing roll pin on pedal assembly

well after having success rebuilding my first pedal assembly I am having trouble removing the roll pin from another very seized-up pedal assy.
    tried pretty much everything but heating it up...antone have ideas?
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Welcome to hell. That roll pin will eat 10 drill bits before you're done. Par for the course.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

member #1515
    drill press
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

if drilling it out won't work, eating drill bit.. source a local machine shop where they will do it for you. (they have really big drill presses)
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

An oxy-acetylene torch will do wonders right now.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

We once had one that was just not ever going to budge what ever we did. Heat, pressure it was solid. In that case we removed the clutch end and then welded that back on (rose weld) once plated and rebuilt. Then we just painted the welded end.

How about cutting it off flush with a cut off wheel, then knocking or pressing it out? I encounter a lot of "stuck" parts on the farm. Usually a last resort, a torch can surely be your friend.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

I fastened the assembly to a block of wood with sheet metal screws. Then clamped the block of wood in my vise which made for a very stable assembly to hammer & work on

Tom

success! after purchasing some carbide bits and sharpening them often on a green wheel did the trick...now to pull out the whole assembly is another feat, its jammed as tight as the pin
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Quote Originally Posted by 72t4tom View Post
    I fastened the assembly to a block of wood with sheet metal screws. Then clamped the block of wood in my vise which made for a very stable assembly to hammer & work on

Tom
    believe me no amount of pounding could do it even with heat, I tried with a proper vise, a couple of huge clamps with a homemade jig to stabilize the assembly..put heat to it and a 4 pound short sledge did not even budge it, I think when rust gets in between because of the channel created in the roll pin, it allows for air, moisture and finally rust they become fused into one.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128