Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

What is your opinion on interstate versus the porsche black factory batteries???

Thanks david

I have used the "Porsche" supplied batteries for years.

I would source them through the dealers or Performance Products. Typically they would last 3-5years with careful maintainence and my tender. In October 2011 I found myself stuck in Monterey at RennSport with two flat batteries. A very helpful local NAPA store was able to source two of the Interstate U-911 batteries in four hours, I was elated. They came ready to go, electrolyte and all, and fit perfectly. I installed them in the hotel parking lot and have not looked back.

That's my .02 cents. And if you don't own one buy yourself a battery tender. They're worth every nickel, I have four...
    Last edited by Bummler; 04-15-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

I used both and agree you get maybe 3-5 years out of them (not really acceptable). I recently bought two Porsche batteries from Sierra Madre and one lost a cell after 12 months. Sierra Madre went back to Porsche on it, and Porsche authorized their replacing the batteries at no charge. I don't know if Interstate would do that. Also, the Porsche battery just seems to look nicer when in the car.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by denson View Post
    I used both and agree you get maybe 3-5 years out of them (not really acceptable). I recently bought two Porsche batteries from Sierra Madre and one lost a cell after 12 months. Sierra Madre went back to Porsche on it, and Porsche authorized their replacing the batteries at no charge. I don't know if Interstate would do that. Also, the Porsche battery just seems to look nicer when in the car.
    I absolutely agree, the Porsche batteries just looked and were right. But after 31 years owning this car, as you noted, the quality and suppliers have been variable.

Let's see how Interstate does they (and Fred Sewart) bailed me out of a potentially weekend ruining scenario...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

If you are looking for a battery for a long-hood, I started a thread earlier (link below), and there are several others regarding my discoveries. Lots of good choices out there, and many here have great things to say re Sonnenschein. I purchased a different brand, but it is sealed. The battery tender is a must, and I'd highly recommend it for any car. I will likely add one for my other cars.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ecommendations

If you are talking about a battery for a later car, I've replaced my Porsche battery with an Interstate Battery - about a year ago in 997, after nearly seven years of good service. The Interstate is working; however, I already notice a bit of difficulty.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Any thoughts on the Optima series batteries? Though I am satisfied with it, I am not 100% sure that I will do it again. They have a claim that it never leaks.

I bought the 12v Red Tops, and while they fit in the battery box, it takes some wrestling to wire and ground accordingly. Other options include, tucked in the space in front of the spare tire and partially seated in the battery box or a sexy solution wiring your battery into the smuggler's box.
    Last edited by CidTito; 04-15-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

I went through two Optima Yellow Tops, and they both went on me within the first 2 weeks. When I returned them to the supplier, they replaced them, and said they were bad. I suppose I got a bad batch, as I believe others here have had great experience with their products. I recall reading on one forum that they'd changed manufacturing, or ownership or something a few years back. That being said, in Optima's defense, I wasn't using the Battery Tender, which I now use every time I park the car. The other plus I have is that I am not in the very cold north, so CCA is not as critical for me in Florida.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

I'll never use Interstate. I had a bad experience with our dealer after I questioned him, he started screaming and cussing me like a dog. My complaints to upper management were hardly noticed.

Either Optima or Odyssey. I really like the Odyssey batteries, but they are a bit pricey.
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

I have used Optima 6V in my 356 for ten years and have to say they are great. I am not sure about 12V batteries, but would expect them to be good also. They do not lose their charge fast and do not leak. The price got jacked up big over the past few years,,,,, as that supply/demand "thing" is stinging us!
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

member #1515
    Use whatever gel battery you like, but anybody who fits a wet electrolyte battery needs to get their head examined. Unless they like having their suspension pan replaced. The ALL leak.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs