Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of Factory Air

Removal of Factory Air

Has anyone done this before? Is it feasible? Cost estimate? I figured the system is just dead weight that I would not use (Looking at a couple cars with AC). Thanks.
    Last edited by radiocure; 04-15-2013 at 08:08 AM.

member #1515
    lots of people have removed the A/C. No big deal. Remove compressor and lines and evaporator in the smugglers box and condensor over engine lid. You'll save 50 Lbs. I'm in the market for Behr components if you take them off.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by radiocure View Post
    Has anyone done this before? Is it feasible? Cost estimate? I figured the system is just dead weight that I would not use (Looking at a couple cars with AC). Thanks.
    True factory air can be a asset. A factory installation can be tweaked and updated to perform decently and look good. Please post a pic, so we can see what you have. If it is aftermarket or port installed, that is another story IMHO and often is best removed. Thanks.

-Allen-

look into griffith air..the cost is not that much to save the old system..about 1500 to get a cold r134 system in...

lemon

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlib View Post
    look into griffith air..the cost is not that much to save the old system..about 1500 to get a cold r134 system in...

lemon
    Where I was coming from in my reply was focused on originality. There is no "correct" answer but people have opinions. For me, originality (as in factory installed) is important, so that it was I suggested, or meant to, to preserve the interior of the car appearance of the original factory air. If the system is not factory installed, then for me, I'd remove it. Here I'm talking about an older vintage port-installed or aftermarket, e.g. "CoolAire"* A/C system. A modern, new system in an old Porsche?, well in the unlikely case where that is what you got when you bought a vintage Porsche 911, well that would be another story. Thanks.

*I had two older Porsches with "CoolAire" units, it was pathetic the way the metal was hacked away in the smugglers box on both cars, and the whole system was so un-Porsche and in this case, frankly, U.S. produced crap, I couldn't stand it ! Out it came of my '72S and quickly !

-Allen-

member #1515
    Well, I like to drive my car, and living in Texas that means A/C. My car was delivered with none, and being young I thought "no problem", until I actually tried to survive in August heat. I promptly took it back to the dealer for the VW of A unit. Not as nice as the Behr unit but probably a bit more efficient.
    I'd still like to, at some point, put the Behr unit in but with Griffin updates.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I seem to be hung up on A/C and will be looking for the last missing piece of mounting setup at Hershey for my 912 installation. By factory installed, I am assuming everyone is referring to the BEHR unit. However, As I am presently rehabing a '67 911S targa, we were surprised to find that it was equipped with a Porsche Air system not unlike the one in my 912. There is no front under the bumper condenser but in fact has exactly the same left hand front fender condenser as my 912. All the other pieces are also the same. My 1967 S manual has pictures of the system as well as a diagram for the system and operating instructions. The same information appears in my '68 912 manual. There is a notation at the bottom of the page saying "'Porsche Air' air conditioning only available in USA as factory approved and dealer installed unit" Parts appear in the dealer parts manual and could, I assume, be purchased through an authorized dealer.

Hopefully I am close to finding out how well I can make this original unit work in my 912. I'm up here in the Northeast and perhaps will not face the hurdle of a Texas summer. Only addition I have made in the 912 system is a pro cooler. Will be happy to report back when operational.

My intention will be to re-install the A/C on the 911S. Concerned more with originality than speed. Hoping for an eventual flip at close to taday's prices. Ultimate question may not be functionality so much as originality with any A/C still in a car.

Factory Air

Factory air on early 911s was pretty rare. I couldn't readily find pics of the evaporator located in the front but here are pics of two cars, a 1968 911, sand beige and a polo red '67S. I owned the sand beige car for a short time. It ended up in the U.K. and has been featured in several magazine articles.

If I lived in, say, Texas, and truly (found) I really drove my 911 in the summer, I agree I'd really want air, same for Fla, etc. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images     

For anybody who is interested. Diagram as appears in '67S manual. Same appears in '68 912 manualName:  AC Diagram.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  50.6 KB

The question I have regarding early A/C is if the COA contains A/C an as option, is that always a Behr/Red-Hose system & all the dealer/port installed systems considered "aftermarket" and not on the COA? I'm kind of a A/C buff & recently repaired the A/C system on my 70S which is on the COA. It's a 69 built early 70S car with a tecumseh compressor & single condenser in the back. I restored it back to using R12 & able to get it down to 40 degrees vent temp (only on cool days!).

Name:  911_AC_pic2_my_70S.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  166.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    65 Sunroof 356C, 70S Targa, 89 Carrera Coupe (original owner), 98 C2S Coupe