Thread: Engine/ CDI Wiring Harness for a '71 T?

Engine/ CDI Wiring Harness for a '71 T?

From my previous post it appears I'm having ground issues related to my CD Ignition and engine wiring harness on my all stock Zenith equipped 2.2 engine. After looking around and chasing a few wires I think the 2 harnesses, being original and unmolested, have become brittle and weak do to heat and age. With that, the braided ground straps that hook to the CD box and to the stud of the coil mount are also pretty ratty. I'm now considering the purchase of new harnesses so I can fix the problem of bad wires outright. My questions are these:

1) I think YnZ makes a suitable engine wiring harness and CDI harness however it is listed for a '70T which I think is the same. Are '70T and '71T engine and iginition harnesses the same?

2) After looking through the Porsche PET diagrams it appears there are several -71T and down harnesses and they differed based on which alternator was installed. My question is how different are they? I have a Motorola alternator and voltage regultor and it looks like there are 2 different harnesses that could be correct but I'm not sure. I don't want to order from YnZ only to find it won't work because it's for a Bosch alternator.

I'd like to order from YnZ if they're harness will work but I'm not sure if the '70T and '71T are the same and if it matters which alternator I'm running on my car.

Any info on YnZ's quality or a better solution as well as any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Stretch

Stretch,

Let's start with detailed photos of exactly what you have.

Was your car fitted with a CDI? As an option? Or did it have the Marelli and Kettering ignition?

In October, 1970 the "intermediate unit" or the small metal can that says EINBAU SENKRECHT KLEMMEN UNTEN was eliminated from the system. That unit is driven off the high-voltage output from the CDI, and basically conditions that signal into something that the tach can read. From October, 1970 the Tach was driven directly off the blue/violet from the points. Hence, there IS a wiring difference depending on when the car was made.

On the back of the alternators over the years there are different connections-- some have ring terminals which screw on to the DF and D-, and some have a white plastic right-angle plug. I do not believe that YNZ can source ANY of the terminations for their replacement harnesses. This is not a huge deal from an electrical standpoint, because contained in the white plug are 1/4" (6.3mm) Faston terminals, so you can just use those. But it won't be original.

Can your original harness be saved? Yes old copper gets dirty and work-hardens, but I would much rather have an original harness than a repro. Clean the harness itself with P21S total auto wash, and clean the terminals with some blue magic to remove the oxidation. I think you will pleasantly surprised at how nice it turns out.

Photos will help. I say, to the guys who are hell-bent upon "upgrading" their fuse panels to ATO, or making other non-standard changes to their harnesses, that once that happens, they are a test pilot: it is hard enough to diagnose electrical problems over the Internet when everything is stock. . . once the system has been hacked it's just too much brain damage to try. Hence, your idea to keep it stock is a sound one from a functional and an authenticity standpoint.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks for the input. I'm not at home now (spelled W O R K) to grab pictures but based on your comments I've got some info to add until I can get pictures.

My car is an October 1970 build and as such it does have the blue/violet wire hooked to the side of the dizzy/points.

It has a Marelli dizzy installed which I'm pretty sure is original. It also has a CDI ignition which I presume is factory since the car is a two owner car including me and is all "factory" to the best if my knowledge.

The stock Motorola alternator has ring connectors and not a plug as well.

With all that I presume a '70T harness won't work however YnZ will copy my harness using any old connectors as required if I mail it to them. I know they're pretty good at what they do so this may be an option.

Lastly I thought about just ordering the CDI harness from parts Klassik and trying that to see if it doesn't sort my ignition problems from my previous post topic.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again

Stretch