Thread: Restoring my '65 - what would you do?

Restoring my '65 - what would you do?

I have a pretty nice '65 coupe - 301xxx serial #, May '65 production. It has a complete Porsche Air system on it - the semi-factory one shown in '66 -68 brochures, likely provided by Porsche cars NA. I don't think that the car was delivered with it, as I don't think that they were available in the summer of '65 - it was probably installed sometime a year or 3 later.
    It actually does work, though the cooling is about what you'd expect from 2 small condensers, and a little bitty underdash unit.
    Should I keep it on the car - or just box it up, tag everything, and hang onto it just in case?
    Last edited by hesaputz; 07-07-2013 at 01:09 PM.

My opinion -- and it's worth what you're paying for it -- is that if it's working, leave it.

If you ever decide to sell, the future owner will have a choice to make. Meantime, you suffer less in Summer.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Agree with Mr Eminence! I did the same with my 71 Targa, left the air in, some day when I install a front cooler I'll make it work again.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

My Polak delivered 66 had a similar system. Very sanitary install but with clear glass not likely to give much relief. And with a 2.0l motor a performance mooring stone. As the bottom was going to be stripped and redone ,I pulled it. It is a fair amount of welding and grinding to fill the perforations.
    I don't think that it would/will add any value to the car. Simple solution, drive a newer car with a/c when it gets too hot. My .02$

Mine actually has Catacolor glass, but it doesn't help much. If you've lived with the evolution of 911 AC systems, you can imagine what the first one was like. It resonates, sucks power, and has minimal cooling - especially here in Oklahoma. I'm very tempted to just box it, and redo the body holes and lower dash.

keep it
    who has that anymore?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen