Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Silver 1968 911L #11805228

FS: Silver 1968 911L #11805228

The time has come for me to sell my beloved ’68 L due to the combined forces of a job relocation, impending home purchase, and a baby scheduled to arrive in a little over 3 months. I’ve owned this vehicle for just 2 years and we’ve forged a strong bond in that short time, it’s a fantastic car that deserves a new owner who will treat her right.

This is a mechanically sound, unmolested, Porsche COA matching-numbers, California black plate, non-sunroof coupe that has been thoughtfully refreshed in its original Silver Metallic splendor.

1968 Porsche 911L Coupe
    VIN: 11805228
    Engine #: 3280742
    5-speed Trans #: 3080136
    96024 Silver Metallic Exterior
    Black Leatherette Interior
    96,072 original miles
    Original Manuals & Maintenance Booklet, Keys, etc.
    Original Tool Kit, Bag, and Jack
    Thorough Maintenance Records covering the majority of its life, including detailed records of exhaustive restoration and maintenance performed over the past 15 years

Production Completion Date: Feb 7, 1968
    Original Purchase Date: April 12, 1968 from Vasek Polak in Hermosa Beach, with just 42 miles on the clock

Ownership History:
    1968 - 1972
    0 to 36k miles
    1974 - 1998
    36k to 89k miles
    1998 - 2011
    89k to 94k miles
    2011 - present
    94k to 96k miles

This is an original California car purchased from the first all-Porsche dealership in the United States, the legendary Vasek Polak. It carries valid/registered California black plates and has lived its entire life in the Golden State.

Thorough service records and history are available from the 1st owner up until 1972 @ 36k miles. Unfortunately the 2nd owner did not keep service records as the majority of all maintenance was performed by a friend who happened to specialize in German motors, and most transactions were paid cash and kept off the books. There is limited service history during the 2nd owners custody, unfortunately.

However, a notable amount of important mechanical repairs and upgrades were performed by the 3rd and present owner and there are exhaustive records from this most recent period that cover everything of significance.

Extensive Interior/Exterior and Mechanical work was initiated by the 3rd owner starting in 1998 and the car has been covered and garaged ever since with regular but limited driving (less than 7k miles in the past 15 years). In the following descriptions the word “New” refers to any work performed during this period where the results still present as new, even if the work was in fact completed years ago.

Interior Details:
    New Carpet color-matched in period-correct weave
    New Trunk Compartment Carpet and Mat
    New Factory Headliner
    New Factory Seat Covers w/ re-stuffed seat cushions
    Original Stock Steering Wheel
    Original Door Panels (no speaker holes)
    New Factory Window Cranks
    Original Seatbelts (fronts missing latch emblems)
    90’s era Blaupunkt CD Stereo installed in dash, connected to a pair of JBL speakers on the rear deck unmounted and attached only with velcro. The stereo could easily be swapped out for a period-correct unit or radio-delete panel if desired.

Exterior Details:
    Bare Metal, Glass Out Repaint in 1998 to extremely high standard in Factory color code-matched original Silver Metallic finish. Thanks to high quality work and gentle care this 15-year old paint job looks deep and lustrous with just the right amount maturation in the still-liquid clear coat.
    Undercarriage Bead Blasted, Fully Caulked & Sealed w/ New Undercoat
    No Rust
    No signs of accident or identifiable damage, drives perfectly straight with a solid and tight feel
    All Exterior Door / Window / Trim Rubber Seals replaced
    Original Glass all around w/ light UV-protective tint installed in 2011
    All 5 Original Porsche Fuchs deep six 15” alloys refinished by Al Reed (Correction: 5.5 x 15 wheel size confirmed)
    Brand New Continental Tires in period-appropriate size/tread
    No Dents, Scratches or Dings in paint. Zero.
    Well-Polished Brightwork presents well, with just one identifiable mark on the driver’s aluminum window frame
    Newer Bilstein Shocks at factory ride height, Perfect Alignment
    NOS Hella Fog Lamps & Bumper Crossbars
    Period-appropriate Hood Bra and Engine Bay Fender Guard included
    Bespoke/Fitted Car Cover w/ “1968 911 L” embroidery

Mechanical Details:
    Oil-Fed Carrera Chain Tensioner Upgrade
    Smog Pump Delete
    Re-ground Cam to “S” spec & Resurfaced Rocker Arms
    Top-End Rebuild, re-sealed cam towers & new gaskets
    New Factory Shifter, Clutch Overhaul, Transaxle & Driveline
    Original Weber Carburetors - Recently Rebuilt & Synchronized
    Rebuilt Brake Calipers
    New Bosch CD Unit, Plugs & Plug Wires
    SSI Stainless Heat Exchangers
    K&N Air Filters w/ High-Flow Covers
    Piston Leak-down Numbers:
    6%
    6%
    6%
    6%
    6%
    18%
    Starts from cold on first try with minimal smoke at exhaust and very minimal garage floor spotting

Year/Model Details:
    The 911L was a single-year production for 1968 only, and was offered as the top-of-the-line model for the US market in that year as the 911S was not imported due to smog restrictions. The 911L came equipped with all S trim and brake upgrades, but was equipped with the standard 911 motor rated at 130 hp stock.

Records indicate and the Registry data appears to confirm that only 449 examples of the 911L were produced for the US market, making this one of the more rare executions of the 911 lineage.

Condition: Excellent Driver / Near-Show Quality
    This authentic, rare, matching-numbers car has been thoughtfully restored over the past 15-year period to an excellent driver or near-show quality condition. It presents very well and retains an iconic, timeless look that turns heads and sparks parking lot conversations wherever it goes.

Most importantly, it runs like a Teutonic sewing machine and is an absolute pleasure to drive, whether for club events and spirited rally’s, or simply for a joyride down your local coast or canyon road. The visceral feel of the modestly enhanced flat six air-cooled engine combined with the purity of the SWB road manners makes for a truly fantastic driving experience. This unpretentious vehicle embodies the perfect representation of what a true vintage 911 is all about, as it’s made to be driven and enjoyed.

Additional Photos: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEHxuSK

I will miss it deeply.

$55,000.00 / OBO

(contact info redacted)

P4140275.jpg
    P4140279.jpg
    P4140286.jpg
    P4140289.jpg
    P4140293.jpg
    Last edited by andymac; 10-17-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: redacted personal contact info

Very nice presentation, good luck on the sale I am sure it will not take long

A couple things those look like 5.5 x 15 not deep 6's and would be correct from the factory
    It would be really nice to see pics of the underside
    Randy K. Germany /Oregon Way too many put away way too many gone !

Whats the story w/ the 18% piston--Has owner investigated?

I believe this car is priced right...

Stunning car!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

Cheers Randy, thanks for the kind words and well wishes.

You are indeed correct about the wheels, I had mistakenly identified them as 6's when they are in fact the OEM 5.5's. I had referenced the hand-written work order from Al Reed which referred to the wheels as "15 x 6" but upon reading your reply I pulled out the spare to confirm stamped markings as:

5 1/2 J X 15
    AS1.08 26121c 3.
    Date Code: 1 68

Interestingly I believe the tire mounted on the spare could be original to the vehicle although I'm not completely sure. It is a Pirelli Cinturato CN36 in the stock 185/70-15 size.

I'm hoping to get the car up on a lift this week so I can add more photos of the underside.

Andrew
    Last edited by andymac; 04-21-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Nice car-- side reflectors are 180 backwards--looks funny to me. Good luck with the sale. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Email sent.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Chris,

Good catch on the side reflectors! This egregious error has been corrected since the pics were taken, thanks for the note.

I love 911L's so I looked closely at the car and spotted the reflectors. I myself own a project Euro 911L that never had the reflectors as they were a US only requirement. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue