Thread: FS: @Excellence - 1971 911T (Doors Off Paint Job)

FS: @Excellence - 1971 911T (Doors Off Paint Job)

This is a prime example of how "not to perform" a "doors off" paint job. It's done all the time (fenders off too) but this is
    terrible. Lots of reasons; "they ran out of paint" or changed guns/heads thus changing the spray pattern.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/classi...8#.UXUlaaUaeFI

PS: It's a color change.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Ouch. That looks pretty "different". At least they comment on the paint problems in the ad, but I guess it must be even worse in the flesh. I've heard silver is especially tough to match.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

I once saw an S Class Benz that was repaired for a deer strike. The paint was spectacular as was the match but only the perpendicular view of the car was perfect. 20º either way shifted the color like Chromalusion paint.

The shop purchased a new gun that could deal with the flake/pearl and re-shot it a 2nd time. This time color was still perfect and it remained the same color no matter what angle you viewed it from.

This is NOT the problem here.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I had a big online tussle with a paint shop guy about this over on another popular Porsche forum. He said he always painted "doors off." Well, some of us lack the color sensitivity to see it when the metal flakes lie down differently. Others of us do not.

One thing's for sure: a digital camera will "see" differences readily.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Maybe they can get it right on the next try ....
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

A guy did a PPI on this car while it was consigned at Back Horse Garage and the leak down showed a serious 26% on one cylinder w/ the other 5 hovering around 6-8%.
    After doing a bare-metal window out paint/body job, w/ new air cond components, the owner was at a loss after this expense and off-loaded it to Sloan, who's not discussing the engine issue any further--just vowing to fix the doors-off mismatched paint--which to me is small potatoes.
    So another leak test down essential.