Thread: window regulator question...

window regulator question...

Sometime after 1974, Porsche when from the old scissor regulator (with the rectangular white plastic sliders and a narrow track), to a new regulator that uses a second "arm" for bracing the regulator and white plastic wheels in a larger track. When they did that, did all the regulators become powered, or were manual regulators available? I have the later doors (SC) on a 70 targa and the doors have the powered regulators which I have removed. If I cannot source a manual pair of regulators that will work with the larger track windows...I may need to use my early "unbraced" regulators, but swap out the rectangular sliders for the wheels. Anybody done this?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Ok, since I got sooo many replies in the first go-round...

I will simplify the question. Is it true that when Porsche modified the early regulator scissor to the later braced scissor that the regulators were only available as powered?
    Simpler question yet ...does anyone know of an SC or Carrera with manual windows?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

member #1515
    I don't know the answer to your last question, but scissor regulators worked with power windows too. Weren't the lightened carrrera sport manual windows?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Pretty sure R.O.W. cars could still have manual windows. You just don't see it on U.S. cars because that would have meant additional crash testing for each window style.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    I will simplify the question. Is it true that when Porsche modified the early regulator scissor to the later braced scissor that the regulators were only available as powered?
    Simpler question yet ...does anyone know of an SC or Carrera with manual windows?

Speedo
    Yes, there are manual "scissors" regulators. In fact, Porsche has discontinued the olds style and only offers the "scissors" type. They do require a different window channel at the bottom of the glass, as well. Your old regulator from your 70 will work just fine in the SC doors and all the holes are already there. Just make sure that they are in good shape. Pay particular attention to the pivot pin the the spring is wound on. Most of them need to be replaced and the pin is available from most of the usual sources.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Yes, there are manual "scissors" regulators. In fact, Porsche has discontinued the olds style and only offers the "scissors" type. They do require a different window channel at the bottom of the glass, as well. Your old regulator from your 70 will work just fine in the SC doors and all the holes are already there. Just make sure that they are in good shape. Pay particular attention to the pivot pin the the spring is wound on. Most of them need to be replaced and the pin is available from most of the usual sources.

Regards

Jim
    To add to Jim's comments, there were a number of cars produced with roll up scissor style regulators ... 89 speedster jumps to mind.

Anyway, the other important part of regulator restoration is the plastic sliders. Those puppies gotta be clean and mean with no burrs if you want them to slide like butter in the channel.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Minneapolis
    Anyway, the other important part of regulator restoration is the plastic sliders. Those puppies gotta be clean and mean with no burrs if you want them to slide like butter in the channel.[/QUOTE]

And speaking of those plastic/nylon sliders - are they available to buy any more? I have a cracked round nylon washer on one of them that I would like to replace.