Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Side window won't go all the way to the top

Saltspring Island, BC Canada & Minneapolis

Help! Side window won't go all the way to the top

Hello all,

I am putting my '69 coupe back together and am installing the side window glass. Everything seems to be going well but when I wind the window up to the top position it won't go all the way up, and is a little out of alignment (see pic).
    When it gets up to the position shown in the photo the big gear just "clunks" off it's top tooth and that's as far as it will go. It also seems to go down more than it needs too making me think that there must be some way to adjust how the small gear and the big gear interact with each other, but I can't see how. It all looks to be fixed in one position. I have adjusted the 4 bolts that hold the winding mechanism in to be as far up as they will go but it's not enough. Also played with the angle adjustment not on the mechanism to no avail.
    Has anyone had this problem too? I am probably missing something obvious.... Any help greatly appreciated.
    PS. I aslo need a drivers side GREEN TINT side window as the replacement I bought by mistake is CLEAR. I'll post that in the Parts seciton

Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is the window frame secured correctly into the door? I can't see from the pic but it appears to me that the front of the frame may still need to slide down into the door which may be causing your problem.
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

If you look at the bottom of the window support, where it attaches to the mechanism, on the back side you will find a nut, from memory 13mm undo that a bit and it should help with your allignment.

Once it's all running smooth, just tighten everything back up.

How was the pivot on the spring before you put the mechanism in? That can also make it a little bit hard to put up, but my monies on the the first one.

Hope that helps
    Tony

Did you replace the glass or put the channel on the bottom of the glass? My guess is that the window channel is not in the correct position on the glass.
    SWB and LWB cars use the same glass but the channel is located differently on the bottom of the glass. The misalignment may be due to a bad pivot pin. Are you sure that you have the proper window regulator installed? A 68 regualtor is different than a 69 regulator. Pictures of the components will help in diagnosing your problem.

Regards

Jim

Thank you all - the car was original paint when I started and I have no reason to believe that the mechanism or glass has been changed. However, I will take it out and post a photo of the mechanism and the glass today.
    Tim

Hello again,

So I have been down to the shop and taken the frame/window out to have a look and take some photos. Interestingly I had bought a pair of windows to replace the scratched drivers side a year ago and apart from being "clear" instead of "tinted" they also have the mounting bracket on the bottom in a different position. Aha - I thought - maybe my "original" windows are actually the wrong ones, so I tried putting in one of the new clear ones. It was definitely not correct for the car, the mountings at the bottom put the window too far back in the frame, and you can see that in the photo of the two windows laid one on top of the other (top is the "wrong" new one. So, it seems likely that I have the correct window and hopefully the correct winder for the car. I was aware of the adjusting 13mm nut in the mechanism and had tried to use it to adjust the angle of the window as well as the final height but it didn't do much. In other threads people have talked about the mechanism being "bent" but I can't see how these 25mm arms could possibly bend in that direction.
    In response to other posters, the window channel is new and the window actually goes up and down very nicely. It just won't go all the way to the top without the big gear falling off the small gear at the top of it's throw.
    I am thinking that I could take the glass off it's mounting bracket and remount it up a 1/4 inch but this just doesn't seem right or that it should be necessary.
    I'm still mystified......

AHA! I decided to install the drivers side and see if it went all the way to the top - it did. So I rolled them both to their top position and removed them again, laid them side by side and voila!. it was clear that the problematic passenger side had a very warped arm! See photo below.
    Now I will try to straighten it carefully, or hunt down a new one. As well, one of the small plastic round washers that goes with the slider block is broken - can anyone tell me where to find a new one??

Thanks again, and I will post the result of my "straightening" effort.

Tim

member #1515
    Are your white plastic sliders in good shape?
    Woops looks like we posted simultaneously. Try Stoddard for the sliders. They rebuild the regulators too I think.
    Last edited by RSTarga; 04-25-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

The pivot pin in your regulator is junk. Get a replacement before installing the regulator back in your door. Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Regards

Jim

Jim - just to be clear - the pivot pin is the slotted pin that the spring sits in, right? The one on the bent passenger side regulator is screwed in from the back, the driver side one appears to be riveted on. Are they available from the "usual sources"?
    BTW, the straightening went well and now the window goes all the way up. A bit stiff but I will work on the adjustments later.
    Thanks all!

Tim