Thread: SAME PART NUMBER, DIFFERENT DATE? (3) Deep Six Wheels with Hearts, (1) without Heart

SAME PART NUMBER, DIFFERENT DATE? (3) Deep Six Wheels with Hearts, (1) without Heart

Ok, here's my dilemma.
    I recently purchased a 1967 Porsche from the original owner who just turned 96 years old. It came with (3) "Deep Six" with hearts part number 901 361 012 06 all date coded 4/70, and (1) "Deep Six" without heart also part number 901 361 012 06 date code 11/70.
    Is this possible? I would assume the wheel without the heart, would have a different part number than the known "deep six" w/heart part number.
    Another explanation is that they didn't differentiate the part number between the wheels with and without the part numbers.
    Last explanation would be that someone cut off the heart or ground it down, thus the same part number.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-wheel with hearts

-wheel without hearts

Best,
    John

1967 Porsche 912
    1964 Amazon Wagon
    1965 Pontiac GTO
    1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
    1967 Mustang Fastback
    1968 Mustang Fastback GTA
    1956 MGA
    1958 AH BN6 (small block Ford 289)
    1962 AH BN7 MKII
    1955 AH BN1 100M w/race history
    1955 AH BN1 100-4
    1956 AH BN2 100M Factory

That's how it is - same part no for both versions ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    My understanding is that the later production deep sixes i.e. 8/70 + were made without hearts. AND as Andy points out, same part #. I have a set of each.
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

The "deep" 6 went through at least 4 machining changes in its production run to improve the strength and make it easier to install a tire etc.. The most notable when they machined off the valve stem bump. This last machining change was one final attempt to make the tire install better. It was noted by the removal of the bump (heart). All running changes and in typical style, the same part number. You have 3 of the 70 wheels and 1 of the 71 wheel.
    The very early 71 cars had the wheels mixed (heart-non heart) when delivered. Side to side and many had miss matching spares. It has only been recently that anyone cared about the "heart". In fact, the supersession from the early 6 part number first goes to the Late (flat) 6 (3 prong) then to the late 6 with the ring cap hole. Imagine ordering a "correct factory" replacement for your 70 and getting a late 6
    Your "dilemma" is shared by quite a few others.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 04-29-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks for the education!

Thanks to everyone who replied (especially you Harvey!).
    Any bets that I'll be able to find another wheel w/heart dated 4/70? Does it matter from value standpoint if I resell the car?
    I'd also welcome advice on whether I should hold off to find one dated 4/70 to complete the set, or whether one a month or two off (year 1970) would diminish the value.
    Thanks again for all the helpful advice, I'm pretty new to the Porsche game.
    John

Here's my 912 when I found it. I bought it from the 96 year old original owner whose son put the Fuchs on and late model high-back seats in the mid 1970's (in fact before I was born). He parked it on this hillside on his ranch about 15 years ago when his eyesight went.

Lastly, does anyone know where I can find a cheap (let's say under $20k) late 60's/early 70's, 911S that's completely original, never had an accident, and is rust free in the back of an old ladies garage? Can't blame me for trying. After taking out the 912 for the first time this weekend, which was an absolute blast, my first thought was- I bet a six would be a bit more fun!

Thanks to everyone who replied (especially you Harvey!).
    Any bets that I'll be able to find another wheel w/heart dated 4/70? Does it matter from a resale standpoint?
    I'd also welcome advice on whether I should hold off to find one dated 4/70 to complete the set, or whether one a month or two off (year 1970) would diminish the value.
    Thanks again for all the helpful advice, I'm pretty new to the Porsche game.
    John

Here's my 912 when I found it. I bought it from the 95 year old original owner whose son put the Fuchs on and late model high-back seats in the mid 1970's (in fact before I was born). He parked it on this hillside on his ranch about 15 years ago when his eyesight went.

Lastly, does anyone know where I can find a cheap (let's say under $20k) late 60's/early 70's, 911S that's completely original, never had an accident, and is rust free in the back of an old ladies garage? Can't blame me for trying. After taking out the 912 for the first time this weekend, which was an absolute blast, my first thought was- I bet a six would be a bit more fun!