Thread: SWB Radio Wire route question

SWB Radio Wire route question

Here's an obscure but easy one (for somebody with a nearby SWB with a radio installed)

The radio is a red/white from the ignition switch into one of the three cannon plugs, I think it's the one furthest starboard (the one on the left as you look into the trunk). Out of the plug there is a faston connector covered with a molded black rubber sheath.

Where does the wire go from there? How does it get into the cabin to go to the back of the radio? What color is it?

Thanks in advance, down to the final strokes now!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Hello John,

Not sure if this helps/applies to your car, but on my unmolested 66 swb the original Blauplunkt radio is supplied by a yellow wire direct from the ignition switch. The wire runs along under the dash held by a couple of those metal loop/clips (similar to those that hold the engine lid wire to the hinge) to an inline fuse just before feeding the radio. The yellow feed wire comes off a terminal adjacent to the other main yellow wire that goes to the starter. Can't see the terminal number I'm afraid.

Mick

Mick,

This is a big help-- it tells us that the Factory didn't follow the diagram! My original switch, pictured below (with 356-type bullet connectors) has a yellow wire on the radio power section- you can see where somebody severed the wire at some point. So I think the move is to get a yellow wire, reattach the bullet and run that over to the radio.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

My switch is exactly the same as yours with the same bullet connectors..... so your plan sounds good.

Mick