Thread: Opinion on danks muffler ?

Opinion on danks muffler ?

Back when my 72T underwent mechanical and body resto, we found out the heat exchangers and exhaust were rotten... I got SSI exchangers, and the shop ordered a Dansk Exhaust which I think is a repro of the original, right ?

My problem now is that it does not sound right. Close to this car I've had a 73.5 T and an 83 SC, and both were stock and sounded fine to me.. Not this one... Initially post rebuild something was missed and the engine had a compression issue (stud) and oil leaks galore, so it was rebuilt a second time by a better shop, and this time I really don't think it's motor related - it's tight, leak free, runs fine... But the car just sounds way louder than I remember my CIS 2.4 to be (this is an MFI 2.4) and there is a resonance, like a metallic echo into something hollow... The engine per se sounds good, very Porsche, like every flat 6 I've ever heard, but that particular exhaust sound just grates on my nerves... Just wanted to check if this is a semi-common thing with that brand or if I've got another issue to chase. If you think it's the Dansk, what else should I get ? The SSIs are a repro of the original, aren't they? Could they participate somehow ? I never thought I'd ever say the car is too loud but it kinda is, and too much reverb...

Thanks !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

What you describe is a drone that happens with 2-out mufflers...is this a dansk sport? How about aa part number or photo of the unit. Certainly there are quieter mufflers available if that's your desire.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

i find that the dansk mufflers resonate at a higher pich then the std porsche ones and always felt that it was thickness of the metal
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

The factory Leistritz mufflers are far superior to the POS Dansk ones!! It's a shame they aren't made any more!!

Dave

Maybe you have the Dansk 2 in 1 out Sport muffler? It looks like the Dansk OE muffler but is louder.

If you find the numbers on your muffler you can look it up in the Dansk catalogue: http://catalogue.jpgroup.dk/pdf/jpgr...talogue_uk.pdf

I have the SSI heat exchangers on my 70 S and there is no doubt I received a HP bump installing them. I them installed a stainless Dansk with a 70 mm outlet (stock is 60mm) and the car got too loud and did not have that fabulous 2.2 note. I took it off a few months ago and went back to the regular Dansk 60 mm muffler. I like it better and the car sings again, like a Porsche!
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Not to steal the thread, but what else, other than Dansk, is out there?
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

As an aside, I think that Sierra Madre is having a sale on Dansk products.

Dan
    1996 993 black/tan

It's a regular Dansk - one out, not even sport... It just does not sound "right". I guess I'll have to get lucky on a used Leistritz because I really can't stand it...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002